Would this setup for a FOWLR would be ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuwave59

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

I'm planning to start my FOWLR and I'd like to have advice on the equipement I'm planning to install :
30 g tank
10 g sump
Fluval 204 (180 GPH)
(For mechanical filtration + carbon and pump sump return)
Eshopps Nano Overflow Box (200GPH)
Hydor Koralia Nano Powerhead (240 GPH) (or maybe 2??)
25 lbs live rock, 20 lbs base rock
20 lbs live sand, 20 lbs aragonite

Would it be ok?

I would lose the canister filter and do your mechanical filtration either with an HOB or better yet with a filter sock in your sump. You can also save money by skipping the live sand, and just using all dry aragonite. My preference would be for a different skimmer like a Bubble Magus NAC 3, which is a little cheaper and I think a bit better, but otherwise it looks like you are off to a good start.

I use the coralife super skimmer 65, and the only issue u have us that the air tube clogs occasionally with salt fir some reason. Otherwise it works fantastically in my 65g.

Thanks a lot guys! Seems I did my homework right :)
I was thinking about it, I can have a 425 gph powerhead for 5$ more than a 240 gph. Since my tank is small, I think it wouldnt matter if I use only one stronger powerhead than two small, if I place the Fluval outake at a strategic place.
What do you think about it?

Fowlr

Hi!

What do you think about it? Is it too much flow or not enough for a FOWL with False Percula I plan to convert to reef later?

Fluval 204 = 180gph
ZooMed Powerseep 214 Powerhead = 160 gph
Hydor Koralia Evolution Powerhead = 425 gph

For a total of 765 gph (25 times the volume of my tank)

I know clowns like low flow, but I read that softies prefer 30x-40x.

You should be fine with 20x-25x turnover per hour. I am honestly not the biggest fan of ZooMed, so I would look at a nano-sized koralia, but it's your tank and your money, so it's up to you.

30 gallons

31''x14''x16''

I think it might be ok. When I run a 29g I usually use 2 750's. BUT in my biocube fish only I only have one 425gph koralia.

I think if you go reef you may want more flow. I wouldnt worry too much about the clowns, mine are dealing with 2 1400's and a return of 1200gph in my 125g reef. LOL

Back
Top Bottom