Would this work for SPS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well...I was thinking about getting a 3 gal pico, and it's definetally going to be a reef...but I've never kept SPS before, so would 18w, with a 14000k and a 7400k bulb work for SPS? Doesn't matter if it's acros, montis, porites, whatever, but I'd love to try SPS, they just seem sooo much more interesting than softies, and LPS. Flow shouldn't be a problem, it is only 3 gallons, after all. Oh, and the tank is 7 1/4 inch tall, if that makes a difference.

If i had to take my best guess i would say that most SPS would probably survive but you might not get great color or growth with that light. I think the bigger challenge then light is keeping stable enough water parameters with that small of a tank. My brother had a 3gal that he was keeping and had a hard time keeping his salinity from jumping all over the place. You can send him a PM or i'm sure he will find this thread. (Jimbo7)

The water params shouldn't be a problem, I'm already planning an auto top off system, and I have all day to work on it, as I don't have anything to do for a while. I may just end up going with some softies, but I always like to try something now. So the light isn't enough for them to keep their color, or would the jumpy water cause them to lose their colors. I don't want a bunch of brown sticks, I'd rather just have some softies.

Found.

Unless you can get a really solid ATO system going, It's really not worth it. If i had to go back and do it again, I would have just made like the sweetest zoa/acan garden ever.

I didn't think i would have any problems either with 3 years experience under my belt, but I don't think i would ever want to do that again. SPS frags are usually more expensive and I spent a ton of time trying to get the water perfect and this and that. Didn't work so well. The link is below though if you would like to peruse.

Thinking back though, I didn't have control over our dorms temperature control, and it was always like 80-85 degrees. I imagine if you trusted your room temperature, it would be a different story. If you want to go SPS, (and i have been called bias:rolleyes:) you should try out some LEDs. Probably less heat then any fixture you would put on, with double the power and lower electricity bill. Or you can wait till UVL releases their 12" T5HO bulbs and do that. Both would work for SPS

I'll stop rambling now.

Yeah, seems like too much work the more and more I look into SPS, so I'll probably just do sone softies and LPS.

Back
Top Bottom