yellow boxfish :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozzyleeds

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my yellow boxfish isnt to good, i got up in the middle of the night and he was sitting on the bottom of the sand, half of his body has changed colour (white) i tested the water that day and was fine, he look fine.. Eating and swimming around.. HELP ME PLEASE

Can you post pics ?
What size tank is he in ?
Tank mates , does he have any ?
Filtration ?
Age and size of tank .
What were your perameters ?
How long have you had him?
What are you feeding?
What does his poo look like ?
What is your spg ?
what is the temp of the tank ?
What is his breathing like ?
Some fish naturally change colors at night to blend into thier surroundings for safety . Is this the first time he has done this ?
It is hard to say with just what you have written ... try to answer these questions as this may help others to help you ... I would also set up to do a 25%-30% water change

pH - 7.8
Nitrite - 0
Amonnia - 0
Nitrate - 0
I have had him for about 9 months
2 clowns 1 month
1 shrimp 1 month
wrasse 5 months
his poo looks normal and i ahce a aqua one 550 filter and a 100 l tank.
feeding him brine shrimp
he is breathing fast
tank temp is 27degrees
picture coming in a minute

yellow boxfish pic

sorry coulnt add it
img_834461_0_7dce29f916ac4c70468ceb2f48bfb4b0.jpg

ozzyleeds said:
tank temp is 27degrees
picture coming in a minute
I am hoping that is a mistype ...
I would start with changing your media in your filter with fresh carbon and set up to do an immideate H20 change at some point today ... Just incase something got in to your tank ...
Box fish if they die can poision your tank so it would be wise to try to get him out and into a QT tank ASAP ....Also this keeps him from fouling the tank ....should he perish ..They also can secrete a toxin when stressed that could wipe out your whole tank as well as killing himself in the process ... The key here is to keep him from stressing out needlessly .
Also how old are your test kits ? You may wish to get a new one if those expired or to have some one cross test for you .....
in my opinion it sounds like a couple things could be going on here bit of a mini cycle going on there , posion wether from him or an out side source or even a ich It is sounding like it could be ich does he have any white spots , frayed fins , peeling skin ? I am not 100% sure but it is sounding like ich is he flashing or some sort of poisioning ? Even with out the white spots it could be the beginning of ich ......How are the clowns looking ? That tank is going to be too small for him in the short run as they can get up to 18 inches . I will continue to look for more answers and hopefully some one can weigh in for you also try to feed him something a bit better than brine as that is nutritionally deficient , try something like mysis soaked in selcon ,to boost his immunity ... Key here is to keep him from stressing out needlessly .... Get him eating better and more nutritious foods ...

I think he means Celsius. I cant add anything to Sadie Lynn`s advice. Very sound advice.

He is indeed a very sick or extreamly stressed little fishy ... His fins look frayed I would suggest a QT tank with hypo (lowering spg slowly over a couple days so as to not stress him further ) as it indeed looks like ich ...Box fish have smooth skin and should not be exposed to copper treatment (wet web media) also with having clowns you should QT them seperatly(all other fish should be QT from the box fish ) as they could be exposed to any toxin released by this fish ... They are also scaleless and should not be exposed to copper (Never treat copper in any tank that you have inverts or corals in or may wish to have in the future) I honestly dont think that the little guy looks to good and will probably not survive this ... if this is the case please do not get another box there are too many things that can happen with them ... they actually have an advanced/ expert care level ....I surmise that the stress of the new clowns or even the wrasse set this off ...once all fish are QT and there are no fish in the tank allow it to go fallow for 8 weeks to allow the tomites , cysts and ich to cycle and die they can not live with out a host do continue to do partial water changes weekly but wash all equipment with hot water to kill the ich off ... Then once they are clear in QT for a few weeks you can add them back to your tank ... Please also if the box fish makes it think of rehoming him as your tank is simply not big enough for him ... and the clowns and wrasse can stress causeing him to release toxins ... Here is an article touching on box fish also wet web is a great source of knowledge
boxfish care and diseases
live aquaria stats on box fish
Also try to get that PH up a bit higher that is too low

Back
Top Bottom