Yo yo loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fallen Icarus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've a yoyo loach with a strange personality trait and I'm just wondering if it's common. When he is eating he lies on his side and whips his body on the stones. Very similar to flashing in fish with ich. I know it's not ich because the tank just went through a 2 week course of methylene blue. He doesn't do it all the time. I only see him doing it when he is feeding.

There are a host of other pathogens that can cause a fish to itch or flash beyond ich.

Yup.. Also, just because the tank went through treatment for 2 weeks, doesn't mean it's not Ich. It's a very persistant and stubborn disease to rid.

Loaches generally become lonely and therefore unhealthy when kept in solitude. I have 5, and they play together all day, leaving other fish alone. When I first had 3, they would always separate and nip other fishs fins. A single yoyo will not thrive.

Yoyos often do weird things, such as rest sideways, sometimes up side down. But if they are flashing or scratching themselves, it's an indication of some parasite or fungus.

Keep in mind when treating loaches, they are very sensitive to medication/ salt, and usually among the first to become ill in an unhealthy tank.

He does spend a lot of time playin with the rainbow shark and kuhli loach. The thing that's putting me off is it only does it when he feeds. The rest of the time he just acts his normal crazy self. So you think a does of Malachite green would be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom