young saltwater tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sterling

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey, I have a small yellow tang about 2-2.5 inches in diameter. Its been in my tank for about a week and it was wild caught. It seems to only eat algie growing off the rocks, and i don't know if this is enough for him/her. He/she seems comfortable and active, altho she picks at the rocks alot of the time. Ive tried feeding him/her mysces shrimp, seaweed, nori, broccoli, and romaine lettuce. I have even dipped the seaweed in garlic, but nothing. Could someone help me out here plz? or do u think its becuz shes wild caught itll just take some getting used to?
thanks very much, Sterling

I've gotta ask, what made you think of dipping seaweed in garlic?

It is common for new additions to avoid prepared foods and graze from the live rock within the first two weeks, since that is their natural behavior in most herbivorous fish. Just keep a piece of nori clipped to the side of the tank, by a live rock structure, and eventually the tang will inspect it. Almost all fish are wild caught and almost all fish behave similarly when first introduced.

Jonnythan: Garlic is often used as an appetite stimulant and helps to increase immune systems in many animals, not just fish :)

Back
Top Bottom