125G Cichlid Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm upgrading my 55G African Cichlid tank to a 125G tank. I want to have the best filtration possible. It's a drilled tank (two in the bottom corner) and I was hoping not to go with a sump and just cap the holes or silicon a glass sheet over it. I've read it, it's possible to do. My question is should I suck it up and go with a sump or a canister filter? I'm hoping to go with the less noisy option as this is going to be in my bedroom.

I want this tank to be top notch crystal clear and an easy to clean filtration system that doesn't make too much noise. (I can sacrifice the noise for quality lol)

I'm asking you fellow hobbyists to help shoot me ideas and suggestions to help me build this tank :)

First, I need to choose a method of filtration. I'm not intensely knowledgeable about all types of filtration available (I can get by ?) so any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone.

My recommendation is go with the Fluval FX 6. I installed one on my 80 gal and it is unbelievable. There is very little noise, it is self priming, has tons of space to customize your media. I know it may be to big for an 80 but I love the way it works and is so easy to maintain.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I took a look at it, it says 900-some GPH. Is there sweet-spot turnover rate I should look for in a canister filter?

I've read that 10x turnover is ideal for african cichlids if you're a bit overstocked?

I found one that is a decent price and its 525 GPH. So if I put two in that would be 1050 GPH filtration. That would be adequate, right? That's an 8.4x turnover.

It's also got a 9W UV in both. Is this necessary? I've heard mixed reviews on UV filters in canister filters.

Sent from my iPhone.

It's the beneficial bacteria that is going to do the trick on overstocked tanks. I mean filtration is important to but without the BB ammonia will be there. I have what some would call overstocked I guess. My tank varies in numbers do to the live bearing Swordtails. Which are a dirty fish in respects to waist. This filter does not actually pull the waist out, but houses the BB that cycles it to nitrates. This canister is the size of a five gal bucket. It has baskets inside to house more media then two Fluval 406 easily, plus foam pre filters and polishing pads. I like the polishing pads because they polish the water to a crystal clear state. They say you only have to clean every 3 months. I opened mine up after a month and it was somewhat dirty, nothing like the 406 that I used previous. It could easily go at least another month.

I have never used carbon or chemicals because on my plants. So just added more ceramic media in that basket to help with the cycle. Testing my tank proves it is not overstocked as there is never ammonia or nitrite and my nitrate levels range between 15-20. Of coarse they were this way even with my 406. The FX 6 should be able to handle a much larger tank like 250gal with ease. I had to actually turn the output down just a bit due to my Duck Weed that floats on top getting pulled under from the flow. The fish love the added current and I have noticed less algae forming in dead areas as there are none really.

Go do a search on u-tube and there are some videos of them setting this up. The other big advantage in my book is it seals up nice and you just plug it in. My 406 actually it was a 404 first, then it went to 405 which I just tossed out and now it's a 406. Anyway it would be a real pain sometimes to get it to prime, and until it started pumping it would leak around where the top mated with the bottom. So I kept it in a 5 gal pale.

It automatically purges air and does so every 12 hrs and is very quiet. In my opinion there is not a better one out there. The only reason I never got the FX 5 was the price. But after my second 406 wore out i sprung for the new version FX6. It your choice but after reading reviews on every canister out there all had priming and leaking issues, except FX 5 and 6. I went through Amazon were i found it to be the cheapest. Oh and I also bought the polishing pads to see what they were using. But my LFS has the same materials in bulk, you just have to cut it to fit.
Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom