2 Tough ID - 1 Possible Easy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrPhazeWun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

I got the first two guys at a lfs, because they're colors looked amazing at the lfs, but since then they've darken up. The third I've had since I've gotten the aquarium set up, but since then I've noticed she mated with my Albino (pic way at the bottom). I need help with a few IDs (first two are tough in my opinion, because they look of different color from time to time):

Unided 1 (2 pics):

Unided 2 (1 pic):

Unided 3 (1 pic...I believe it's an Albino Zebra...well I'm hoping so, because she's carrying)

the Beauty that Unided 3 mated with (I've got it filmed...awesome):

Thanks for the help, my question is I witnessed the Albino Greshaki mate with the Albino Zebra...should I be concern over hybrids?

Last edited:
Thanks,

I have no intentions of selling the fry, but I may need to find the means of controlling them as it seems I have around 4 breeding pairs in the aquarium...any they are breeding every chance they get.

By the looks of the size of the fish you posted in the pictures they should have a lot of snacks on the fry. That will help cut back on them if you end up with any by the time it's all said and done.

The only issue is my rock work makes it so that the fry have a steady survival rate...i have around 4-6 young fish that's survive and become a part of the community and I've seen 4-6 more that are able to escape being snacks...actually it's kind of cool seeing them coming out at feeding time and sneak a bite, but it's a bit concerning seeing that population grow on an already overcrowded tank. I'll play it by ear and control population as I can...or this may give me an excuse to get a bigger tank....or at least that's the way I could justify it to my wife :devilish:

I notice a bit of red coloration on the first one do you know what it was labled as? Possibly describe the colors you see when they are distinct

I notice a bit of red coloration on the first one do you know what it was labled as? Possibly describe the colors you see when they are distinct

I'll explain a bit more when I get home, but from I remember, the fins are pinkish, not redish....bad camera shot, I guess....and it's body is a grayish blueish tint.

The hap is probably a mix. They crossbreed like crazy. "Romeos" of the tank more or less. I could only guess to what he is mixed with. Hard ID indeed. Where did these fish come from? Most the time LFS don't even know what they have, and sell random hap mixes a lot. I went through 4 "Fryeri" before I found one that was ACTUALLY a true Fryeri.

For crossbreed fry, it sounds like your doing what I do, nothing. Sometimes they will survive for a while, but mostly they will be devoured at some point. But if you want to get rid of fry, get a bichir , they are fish killing machines.

What subspecies of bichir?...ive googled it and come up with a few different subspecies...and one of of my lfs has Polypterus senegalus, but they seem to grow until 18"...and that sounds like a population control...not just fry control...I dont know about that route....what about a venestus?

Back
Top Bottom