20 gallon long Tanganyika tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not really, you should add the filter pad for the new filter in there, then shove the used filter there too so the bacteria grows onto the new filter

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've changed my mind on which species to get. I think I'm going with Lamprologus meleagris, or whatever it's called. The tank has been cycling for about 2 and a half weeks. Here's my layout:

shell dwellers
by mnhoj, on Flickr
I wish i could have built the rock structure higher, but I am afraid that the shellies will dig under the rocks, causing them to fall. Are the meleagris any less aggressive than the multis? If so, can i have a second species? I noticed someone earlier has posted about sardine cichlids, could I have them with the shell dwellers?

I've changed my mind on which species to get. I think I'm going with Lamprologus meleagris, or whatever it's called. The tank has been cycling for about 2 and a half weeks. Here's my layout:

shell dwellers
by mnhoj, on Flickr

I wish i could have built the rock structure higher, but I am afraid that the shellies will dig under the rocks, causing them to fall. Are the meleagris any less aggressive than the multis? If so, can i have a second species? I noticed someone earlier has posted about sardine cichlids, could I have them with the shell dwellers?

No...shellie species do not mix well... I'm pretty sure that's been said a few dozen times in every shellie thread...and I'd suggest reading up on "sardine cichlids" aka cyprichromis leptosoma. A quick google search will show they stress very easily, need to be in good sized groups, and need a 4' tank minimum. Not trying to be mean or rude, it's just extremely accessible information....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've kept occies, multies, stapps, brevis...in my opinion with a 20g and shellies it's a matter of find they type you like best and that's it. Yes, they are small fish but they have BIG personalities!

Never bought from them but the reviews on this site tend to be very good.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is liveaquaria.com a reliable website to buy fish and plants?

They get good reviews but I've always found their prices to be higher than other websites. What are you looking to purchase?

I was actually thinking about getting some live plants( I know, kind of unrelated, sorry about that). I saw the number of stars on a website called reseller ratings about liveaquaria. 2.5 stars out of 10! There is conflicting info with reviews from that site and reviews on other sites, so I didn't know what to do. Their selection is pretty good for what I'm planning on getting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had a luck of luck with eBay for plants. Depending on what you're looking for Han Aquatics has good quality as well and his shipping rates aren't crazy.

I just ordered some live plants from Han Aquatics. Their prices are WAY better. Anyway, my parameters are
Ammonia 0.25-0.5ppm
Nitrite 5ppm
Nitrate 80 ppm
Looks like I still have some waiting to do... In case anyone was wondering, I'm ordering the Shellie's from Dave's fish.

Han is a very nice guy. I've been happy with both the plants and supplies I purchased from him. Actually just placed another order last night :whistle:

So, I received the plants a few weeks ago. They were in great condition.:) I think I'm going to order the Shellie's soon! Expect some pictures in a few days. :)

The ocellatus are arriving on Tuesday.

Awesome, you'll love the little guys. By the way what plants did you end up getting? I only ask because I had a few plants with mine, but I had to get creative with planting to protect the from the little bulldozers.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom