20g Cichlid Tank stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 20g is finally ready to be stocked and I'm thinking I want to do it with Malawi Mbuna cichlids. [Especially since I want to do it plantless and after seeing such pictures.]
img_781840_0_a32e851a55d6caafa1987c5a2757cfd2.jpg

How many should i get?

What M:F is ideal?

What pH do they need?

Thanks. [/img]

I personally think a 20g is too small for Mbuna. They are very aggressive fish. Even small Mbuna like Demasoni (in the picture) should have atleast a 30g IMO because you need a large group of them to distribute the aggression.

If you want Africans, look into Shelldwellers like Multies, Brevis, and Occelatus.

I agree with Kristin. If you're wanting to do Africans I'd upgrade it to a 55. Some people push it with 30, but I'm a strong believer in 55 gal minimum for African Mbuna. Have you considered New World Cichlids? Rams are gorgeous and colorful.

Me and FF disagree over min. tank size (!), but I do agree about the 20G being too small.
Shellies would work. Alternatively you could go with south american cichlids with a pair of rams or something?

Rams = GBR? I like those guys too. How many, what pH, and yada yada would be ideal for them?

Back
Top Bottom