220 Gallon American Cichlid Stocking List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hlauriza

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I already have my African Cichlid tank that I love.

I am starting up a 220 gallon tank and would like to make it an American Cichlid Tank. I need to know :

What do you guys think for a stocking list ?

How many AC should can be in a tank this size?

I am so use to my African Cichlids I don't want to make a mistake. So I would love to hear from the more experienced in American Cichlids people!

Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to suggest!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would say that your next step would be to research south American and central American cichlids. You really should not mix the 2. once you decide on which you like then we can go more into stock. With some sa or ca's you will need to pick 1 you like then look for advice on what it will tolerate with it. Either way you have a great tank size to work with and have many options.

Subscribing

I believe I would like to go the Central American route!

I personally would recommend south american species for a tank this size, unless you're looking to do a pair of the big brutes. I am not a fan of aggressive/semi-aggressive community tanks myself, as they are often riddled with issues. Personally, if this was my tank, I would have:

6 uaru amphiacanthoides
8 Geophagus sp. tapajos II
2 aequidens metae
36 Bleeding heart tetras or lemon tetras
12 hoplosternum thoracatum
1-2 larger plecos (probably blue phantom)

But this is also a scaled up version of my 120, so I'm biased personally lol

I personally would recommend south american species for a tank this size, unless you're looking to do a pair of the big brutes. I am not a fan of aggressive/semi-aggressive community tanks myself, as they are often riddled with issues. Personally, if this was my tank, I would have:

6 uaru amphiacanthoides
2 aequidens metae

Thank you for your response I will look up all those species! Again my tank isn't up and running yet so I have time to change my mind many times.

I would say that your next step would be to research south American and central American cichlids. You really should not mix the 2. once you decide on which you like then we can go more into stock. With some sa or ca's you will need to pick 1 you like then look for advice on what it will tolerate with it. Either way you have a great tank size to work with and have many options.

I never knew that they shouldnt be mixed until i joined this forum. People always group them together which i always thought was ok until recently.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

6 uaru amphiacanthoides
2 aequidens metae

If I had this tank I would most likely follow this. Been wanting some uaru.

Back
Top Bottom