55 Gallon African Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
My sister is getting a 55 gallon and wants to do African Cichlids. Could other Cichlids be compatible with them?? Like a Fire Mouth, Black Convict, Blood Parrot, or Jewel Cichlid??

vanimal said:
My sister is getting a 55 gallon and wants to do African Cichlids. Could other Cichlids be compatible with them?? Like a Fire Mouth, Black Convict, Blood Parrot, or Jewel Cichlid??

No to the sa cichlids. A lot of people put jewels in with Africans but I wouldn't recommend it.

Andrew McFadden said:
No to the sa cichlids. A lot of people put jewels in with Africans but I wouldn't recommend it.

Oh ok would agession be an issue or water differences??

Just got the tank 55 with light, Hood, filter, gravel, and stand for $80 on Craigslist.

Ok I was just wondering because I saw an African Cichlid Tank with a Blood Parrot and a Jewel in it on YouTube.
Would this be over stocked???
5 Different African Cichlids
1 Bristle Nose Pleco
4 Bronze Cories
Or would the cichlids kill the Cories??

vanimal said:
Ok I was just wondering because I saw an African Cichlid Tank with a Blood Parrot and a Jewel in it on YouTube.
Would this be over stocked???
5 Different African Cichlids
1 Bristle Nose Pleco
4 Bronze Cories
Or would the cichlids kill the Cories??

Not even close to being over stocked lol :)
Whatever you do don't put the cories in with them if they do eat them they have spines on the side fins and could get stuck in the Cichlids mouth. If your going to have african Cichlids you need to stick with africans. Plecos and some cat fish are ok that's about it. Here is an article that will help out a lot http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

Ok so how many cichlids would work in a 55??
8 Cichlids
1 BN Pleco
1 African Featherfin Catfish
And could a peacock eel work??

vanimal said:
Ok so how many cichlids would work in a 55??
8 Cichlids
1 BN Pleco
1 African Featherfin Catfish
And could a peacock eel work??

12-18 some would tell you more with 1 male to at least 3 females. You need to try and stay with Africans that won't get bigger then 5 inches.
I wouldnt try the eel they may think its a worm. Remember everyone's tanks different some may get away with something and others can't.

You'll need to over filter 8-10 times more then normal. Due to over crowding the tank for aggression reasons.

Last edited:
I would agree that you can have 12 or so to start off. Also big factor is what decor you plan on using. You need to make sure you have a lot of hiding spots so each fish can establish its own territory to reduce them being aggressive to each other. Plus to maintain clean water your going to want to run a good canister filter. Your GPH should be around 6x your total water. I have a 55 gallon with a fluval 405. It does 340GPH and is rated for up to 100 gallons. 55 gallons X 6 330gallons.

Just my oppion. Others may think different. But I have healthy happy fish.

Just set up the tank today. Its pretty cloudy so ill post some pictures tomorrow. I put in water from my tank about 30 gallons and added some rocks I had in there to help it cycle. Also a piece of driftwood from my own already cycled tank. For filtration it has an undergravel filter with 2 powerheads and a hob filter. Its a larger one with 2 spots for filter cartridges. I added a rock pile, a cave, and a clay pot. Ill be adding plants this weekend. The substrate is crushed coral. (It used to be a saltwater tank) ill have pics up by tomorrow morning.

vanimal said:
Just set up the tank today. Its pretty cloudy so ill post some pictures tomorrow. I put in water from my tank about 30 gallons and added some rocks I had in there to help it cycle. Also a piece of driftwood from my own already cycled tank. For filtration it has an undergravel filter with 2 powerheads and a hob filter. Its a larger one with 2 spots for filter cartridges. I added a rock pile, a cave, and a clay pot. Ill be adding plants this weekend. The substrate is crushed coral. (It used to be a saltwater tank) ill have pics up by tomorrow morning.

Watch your nitrates in the long run as a heads up. I've never been to fond of ugf and that's why. Can't wait to see some photos finally :)

Andrew McFadden said:
Watch your nitrates in the long run as a heads up. I've never been to fond of ugf and that's why. Can't wait to see some photos finally :)

No plants or fish yet so it still looks bad and I will be doing 50% weekly water changes. Also there is the HOB filter on there. I do 50% on my 150 and keep my trates at 5 or below ;)

vanimal said:
No plants or fish yet so it still looks bad and I will be doing 50% weekly water changes. Also there is the HOB filter on there. I do 50% on my 150 and keep my trates at 5 or below ;)

I know they work for some people. When I was a kid I had to rip mine out after it was in for a couple years because of nitrates so needless to say I haven't bought one again. Plus I've helped/recommended for a few others to take them out of there tanks because of the problem they couldn't figure out or get rid of.

You still may want to get another hob as its recommended to filter 8-10x

Ok can you post some pictures of your cichlids and what would some good Central American Cichlids be? I only know of JDs, GTs, BCs, FMs, and Jewels.

vanimal said:
Ok can you post some pictures of your cichlids and what would some good Central American Cichlids be? I only know of JDs, GTs, BCs, FMs, and Jewels.

I don't have or know a lot about sa Cichlids so I can't really give advice about those. There are some really pretty ones tho and remember you can't mix them. A jewel is and african river fish and not a lake fish.

52693-albums2955-picture41547.jpg

52693-albums2955-picture41394.jpg

52693-albums2955-picture41393.jpg

Back
Top Bottom