55g Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonv26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55g tank that is nearly done cycling so I am trying to plan out a stocking list based on what species I like what are readily available to me at the LFS. It will be an African Lake Malawi mbuna setup. I am trying to get a large array of colors and I am wondering if the following species would be suitable in a 55g together in a 1:3 or 1:4 M:F ratio.

Pseudotropheus Saulosi
Melanchromis cyaneorhabdos (Mangano)
Metriaclima estherae (Red Zebra)
Labidochomis caeruleus (Yellow Lab)

That stock would work. You can also consider Pseudotropheus socolofi and Pseudotropheus sp "Acei"

What you've chosen so far is good. Similar temperaments and requirements.

I was looking at Acei because the are a gorgeous fish but I think they get a bit too large for a 55g?

Salousi, Yellow Labs and Yellow Tail Acei would make a great mix both in personality and would give you some great color.

Salousi, Yellow Labs and Yellow Tail Acei would make a great mix both in personality and would give you some great color.

Would I still be able to put the Red Zebras in here with this or would I just be further ahead to get a few more of each of the 3 species and just forget the 4th one?

Can Acei and Pseudotropheus Saulosi be mixed since thet are both pseudotropheus species?

brandonv26 said:
Would I still be able to put the Red Zebras in here with this or would I just be further ahead to get a few more of each of the 3 species and just forget the 4th one?

The only issue I would see with Red Zebra and Yellow Lab is that people have reported they could cross breed because they are similar in appearance. This becomes an issue if you want to sell any fry.

brandonv26 said:
Can Acei and Pseudotropheus Saulosi be mixed since thet are both pseudotropheus species?

I don't see an issue as they are both fairly dosile in terms of African cichlids. If you don't like saulosi you could do Scolofi but they are a bit larger. The beauty of salousi in a 55 is that they stay fairly small and give you two different appearances from male to female.

twestacott said:
The only issue I would see with Red Zebra and Yellow Lab is that people have reported they could cross breed because they are similar in appearance. This becomes an issue if you want to sell any fry.

Any mouthbrooder can breed with other mouthbrooder. I don't have a problem with those two.

I wouldn't put acei in a 55. They like a lot of swimming space, but I'm not saying it can't be done because people do it and get away with it. ;)

I love the colors of the Yellow Lab and Acei. Pretty color contrast with the yellow and purple. My two favorite species!

i love Acei, they are prob one of my favourite cichlids, im just not sure i want to put them in a 55g for fear that its to small. If I were to put them in my tank though, what am I best having them replace from my list?

brandonv26 said:
i love Acei, they are prob one of my favourite cichlids, im just not sure i want to put them in a 55g for fear that its to small. If I were to put them in my tank though, what am I best having them replace from my list?

From the original list I wouldn't replace anything

Last edited:
I've had really good luck keeping Acei and Yellow Lab together. I'm not an experienced hobbyist like Andrew, so he may disagree, but I'd cut the Red Zebra. I've read that they're aggressive and better to be stocked with the Kenyi, Auratus, Demasoni, etc.

Is it the general consensus that Acei need a 75g tank minimum and cannot be kept in a 55g?

They can be kept in a 55 but they are best to be kept in bigger tanks Imo. Plus the get to be 6" witch is pushing a 55 gallons limits Imo.

I like and think what you originally posted will look nice and its not to complicated of a mixture. The colors will all pop out and be a good mix. If I did anything id add an cynotilapia tonreplace or cut back on the red zebra. The red zebra gets 5" and ive seen some at full grown that look like they are pushing 6".

3-4 maybe 5 different ones will be a good tank.

If it was me I'd go with these numbers

6 saulosi
6 maingano
4 Yellow labs
3 red zebra

Or

5 saulosi
5 maingano
4 Yellow labs
3 red zebra
3 Other -number really depends on what you pick

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
They can be kept in a 55 but they are best to be kept in bigger tanks Imo. Plus the get to be 6" witch is pushing a 55 gallons limits Imo.

I like and think what you originally posted will look nice and its not to complicated of a mixture. The colors will all pop out and be a good mix. If I did anything id add an cynotilapia tonreplace or cut back on the red zebra. The red zebra gets 5" and ive seen some at full grown that look like they are pushing 6".

3-4 maybe 5 different ones will be a good tank.

If it was me I'd go with these numbers

6 saulosi
6 maingano
4 Yellow labs
3 red zebra

Or

5 saulosi
5 maingano
4 Yellow labs
3 red zebra
3 Other -number really depends on what you pick

I have no problem replacing the red zebra as out of the 4 they are my least favourite anyways. My problem is I need to pick a 4th species not only from what I like but from what why LFS have. I can post a list of what they have if that would help.

brandonv26 said:
I have no problem replacing the red zebra as out of the 4 they are my least favourite anyways. My problem is I need to pick a 4th species not only from what I like but from what why LFS have. I can post a list of what they have if that would help.

That would help :) or you can just take them off the list and up the numbers more on the others and it would still be sweet imo. You would probably end up with more fish that way too at less you add a 4th that stays around 4"

Back
Top Bottom