55g Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andrew McFadden said:
That would help :) or you can just take them off the list and up the numbers more on the others and it would still be sweet imo. You would probably end up with more fish that way too at less you add a 4th that stays around 4"

So if I took the red zebra off and just upped the numbers of the other 3 species what would you suggest?

The other species I have available to me are:
Pseudotropheus demansoni
Pseudotropheus johanni
Labidochromis sp. (Perlmutt)
Pseudotropheus elongatus
Labidochromis caeruleus Nkali
Pseudotropheus flavus

That pretty much covers it from the 2 LFS I have.

brandonv26 said:
So if I took the red zebra off and just upped the numbers of the other 3 species what would you suggest?

The other species I have available to me are:
Pseudotropheus demansoni
Pseudotropheus johanni
Labidochromis sp. (Perlmutt)
Pseudotropheus elongatus
Labidochromis caeruleus Nkali
Pseudotropheus flavus

That pretty much covers it from the 2 LFS I have.

I don't think is try any of those to be honest

8 saulosi
8 maingano
6 Yellow labs
Give or take some

Andrew McFadden said:
I don't think is try any of those to be honest

8 saulosi
8 maingano
6 Yellow labs
Give or take some

Thanks a bunch for your help as always Andrew :)

How many fish is safe to add at a time max in order to make sure I don't crash my bio filter?

How did you do your cycle? If you dosed with ammonia to 4.0ppm and the cycle did truly complete (ammonia and nitrites are at 0 within 24 hours of dosing) then I think you should probably be able to fully stock the tank at one time. The point of dosing to 4.0 in cycling is to build up a very high bioload so that the filter is capable of handling a fully stocked tank. With cichlids I believe it is advised to fully stock the tank all at once so that the group grows together and establishes their territory. Maybe someone more experienced can verify if I am correct here.

Your good to go :) good advise above

I've been talking with him over pm for the last few days :) if you was wondering how I know lol

Edit
I don't think he could wait any longer lol I think he bolted right to the store lol

Last edited:
Lol. Can't blame him. Waiting for the cycle to complete is the most painful part.

Here are some pics. I got 14 fish, still wanna get 4-6 more. Also have some 50/50 bulbs on order. The lighting I currently have doesn't do justice to the colors on African cichlids

Attachments

• image-124667739.jpg
    image-124667739.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 56
  • image-3386312554.jpg
    image-3386312554.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 56
  • image-110062289.jpg
    image-110062289.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 53
  • image-2527590712.jpg
    image-2527590712.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 51
  • image-4160732416.jpg
    image-4160732416.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 44
  • image-1699141926.jpg
    image-1699141926.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 53
I will get some better pics later but wanted to get a few up. Been waiting a long time for this haha. Now just wanna get the rest of my fish lol

Oh alright then. Thanks. Then I can leave it as is haha because I have all the species I wanted just wanted to up the # of maingano. Store only had 3 at the time

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom