A little ammonia advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adkjoe

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've read quite a bit on the subject and think I can control it but I'm just looking for maybe a little extra advice or assurance I'm on the right track.

On sunday I drained my 55G and replaces the gravel with sand, took out all the cheesy fake decorations and replaced them with natural rocks, etc... pretty much redid the whole tank. Anyway, I left all of the filter intact, filled a piece of panty hose with the old gravel to help get the bacteria going again and left it in the for a few days and squeezed it here and there etc... Now I know it will take a bit to cycle the tank back up to where it needs to be. I tested the water last night, Ammonia is about .25 and nitrite and nitrate were about where they are suppose to be. After testing last night I drained about 40G of water and replaced it. This brought down the ammonia a little.

So, should I just keep changing some water daily and keep taking readings? How much should I be changing, 10,20,30 percent and replace with fresh conditioned tap water? I would like to avoid using chemicals if at all possible. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

You need some ammonia to cycle the tank. What I would do if you are cycling with fish, is to let the ammonia get to 0.5 ppm. Once it get's there, do a 50% water change, leaving 0.25 ppm for the bacteria. I would also use Seachem Prime since it neutralizes ammonia for up to 48 hours, making it safe for fish. I would test for ammonia and nitrites everyday until you get a full cycle. This could take anywhere from 4-8 weeks.

Thanks, so let it go until it get's to .5, change 50% and test again until it reaches .5 then change again etc... until it's fully cycled. that makes sense.

I forgot to mention that the same applies to nitrites. Let it get to 0.5ppm, then 50% water change. Test everyday.

Back
Top Bottom