African cichlid tank caves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

busymom23

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm hoping to start a new tank...African cichlids! I have a 125 long and have always loved the African cichlid colors, so doing research and getting stuff together ahead of time. Now talking about scaping and caves...I know they NEED caves, but all of my other tanks have rocks in them, quite a few actually, so I was hoping to try and find alternative caves other than rock caves. I know I can use some terra cotta pots, some pvc pipe, and coconut shells, but do you have any other ideas? What are some of your caves made out of? Thanks in advance for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My African tanks have lots of med-large rocks I stack and arrange them so there are a few caves. After that the cichlids usually arrange the tank to their liking. Lol. They'll dig and spit substrate to make their own tunnels, caves, and breeding pits. Even if ya don't want them too, Ha ha. That being said, always be cautious when stacking rocks. They have no problems digging around and under rocks. Which can weaken the stability of rock stacks and they could tumble. Other than that pots, driftwood, coconut shells, an old boiled turtle shell. I always like building a cave out of whatever and burying it,besides the opening, so it looks like an underground cave.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the different ideas so far! I'm looking more into "outside the box" thinking. Like the coconut shells or the turtle shell...or something I can make. Anything that could be a cave that's aquarium safe that I could buy or make, that isn't rock or look like rock. I have 5 other tanks that all have creek rock in them so this tank I want zero rocks in. Burying stuff in sand while leaving the entrance open is a great idea, just need more ideas as far as what is aquarium safe..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom