African Cichlids and Zuccini Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccerstud652

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just recently recieved 3 African Cichlid babies. They have been in my tank for 2 days now, and I have been feeding them tiny Cichlid pellets made by TopFin. I want to introduce them to zuccini, since I know that is a favorable food for them. I bought a veggie clip and put a two inch frozen zuccini slice on it. They haven't seemed to eat it though. Am I doing something wrong here? Should I just stick to the pellets? Is leaving the zuccini in the tank wrong. Let me know, Thank You!

You might want to try blanching the zuccini first. Remove the seeds, and put it in a small cup with water just covering the top. Microwave it for 15 seconds or so, take it out, and rinse in cold water. This should soften it enough for them to enjoy.

What kind of Africans do you have? Not all of them are going to like veggies, but if they are mbuna they likely will. They are going to outgrow this 5 gal pretty darn soon, also - I am growing out two fry in a 6gal and the yellow lab is only 1.5cm and is already bullying the borleyi.

I'd try to sink it by weighting it down or using a suction cup clip. My Africans were not interested in the zuchinni for the first few times I put it in there, but after several times introducing it they finally caught on. I'd keep it in there for 24 hours, remove it, and try again in a day or two. Eventually they'll get the idea. I also agree that blanching and seed removal is a good idea.

Mine really like the zucinni. I foudn that spearing it through the middle with a toothpick and then attached it to a toufa rock I had worked quite well. It took mine a few days to get the idea too. THey will figure it out though

I've been dropping spinach leaves and cucumbers acnchored with a plant anchor. My Tropheus Duboisi really loves the spinach... My plecos go crazy for it also. The Frontosas stay clear of it though. I'll drop it in in the evening... And by morning there is no trace of it anywhere in the tank. I don't do anything to the spinach, just drop it in raw after I rinse it off. The only thing I do to the cucmbers is remove the seeds.

When you buy a bunched plant at a LFS... It's the piece of metal that holds it together. Probably not sold individually.

So can I just cut the zucchini into small pieces and feed it to them as a treat? They seem to be eating their pellets very well now so I am not as worried as I was, it took them about three days to get used to the tank and food, etc.

I bought a Lee's clownfish Clip, and it broke almost instantly, it was a piece of junk. Would just cutting the zucchini small work(after it is blanched)?

I've never blanched zuc before, but you could try tieing it down to a rock or a piece of decor in the tank. If it's a larger piece, it will attract them more. I've noticed taht when I use a large piece, that they will eat every last bit of it. But when I cut it in circles, they don't really show interest.

Before I got my own clown clip, I would rubber band a long strip to a plastic fork, and shove the tines of the fork down into the gravel, or under a bigger rock. That works just fine. It seems to help when the zuchinni is held still for them, and not floating around.

Hmm, so should I try this overnight?

Also, should I feed my little guys 2 times a day or 3? Everytime I feed them 3 times a day they eat all of the food very fast. I just don't want to overfeed. Is 3 times a day too much? Or should I try 2 times with a zucchini treat?

I would feed twice a day, then the day you feed zuchinni skip feeding altogether, to encourage them to eat the zuchinni for their digestive health. Leave it in there for 24 hours. It is so easy for mbunas to get bloat so skipping a day here and there (some do it once a week without feeding for a day). What kind of food are you feeding otherwise?

Keep in mind that extreme care not to overfeed is even more important in this small tank, because it is so much easier for a small tank to have a cycle in the crash related to water quality problems.

Consider switching to a spirulina-based flake, like Omega One Veggie Flakes (you could mix it with what you have) to be sure your mbunas get the greens they need to avoid bloat.

Back
Top Bottom