africans...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still say yes to ten at max 6 or 8 would be better if you only get 4" Cichlids or smaller. Make sure you use a good filter and do your water changes.

Edit. The more I think about this, the more I don't see it being a problem. Stick to smaller mbunas.

A 40 g is only shorter than a 55 and height isn't a weighing factor.

Mogurako said:
No no no no! The 1" per 2 gallon is completely inaccurate and outdated. By that logic your are saying I could fit a adult Oscar in a 30 gallon tank, not so much! When you are stocking you need to account for the adult size of the fish as well as the bio-load.

I would shoot for 4-6 dwarf Mbuna or peacocks for a 40 gallon.

We wasn't talking about an oscar, like I said " 4" at their adult size" it has always worked for me you just have to be careful with what fish. A fish that gets wide is going to use more and the same with a fish that gets long. If he is talking about 40 long he should have enough gas exchange for them with the proper filters and water changes.

Andrew McFadden said:
We wasn't talking about an oscar, like I said " 4" at their adult size" it has always worked for me you just have to be careful with what fish. A fish that gets wide is going to use more and the same with a fish that gets long. If he is talking about 40 long he should have enough gas exchange for them with the proper filters and water changes.

I know you weren't talking about an Oscar but that's what size tank an Oscar would need according to your 2 gallon per inch rule, it was more of an example on how ludicrous that rule is. If its a 40 long then it's the same footprint as a 55 and 10 or so fish should be fine.

A group of demasoni would b good. They don't get very big ( maybe 3 or 4 inches at most ) and they are a very good looking fish.

i have 5 africans in my 40 gallon breeder. The dimensions of a 40g breeder are goid because it is much wider than a 55 and it has good length, and decent height. It is perfect for peacocks. I also have good filtration so that helps.

gman42 said:
i have 5 africans in my 40 gallon breeder. The dimensions of a 40g breeder are goid because it is much wider than a 55 and it has good length, and decent height. It is perfect for peacocks. I also have good filtration so that helps.

40b are deeper not wider, they are 36" wide vs 48" for the 55. The extra width is better for active swimmers because fish swim side to side not front to back.

Mogurako said:
No no no no! The 1" per 2 gallon is completely inaccurate and outdated. By that logic your are saying I could fit a adult Oscar in a 30 gallon tank, not so much! When you are stocking you need to account for the adult size of the fish as well as the bio-load.

I would shoot for 4-6 dwarf Mbuna or peacocks for a 40 gallon.

I agree

when you buy mbuna's do you buy a group of one type or can you just choose one or two of each?

Back
Top Bottom