Albino Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janza46

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a few questions, I've been a Convict Cichlid Breeder for years but haven't since 2008, however the pet store near me did not have anymore so I decided to switch it up.

I just bought a 35g tank. I went to the pet store and got very lucky to find 2 already paired Albino Cichlids. I tried to google these Cichlids and have yet to find anything on them but a bunch of pictures. I will start off by saying I do not have pictures so I apologize. I have 2 large males (2"s each) and 2 females (1.5" each).

Question 1: The pet store told me these are South American Albino Convict Cichlids, yet the only type of Albino Cichlids I found were African. So are they African or S. American?

Question 2: One pair has already come out and made themselves known they "own" the entire tank and have pretty much picked on the male (leaving the mate alone). It is pure 2 on 1 action. I don't understand why they are leaving his female alone and picking on him, and I am worried now because he will not even go near his mate. But she tries to get close to him and during safe moments he will stick around, if this activity continues will he lose complete interest in her and just watch his own back?

I have set up 2 caves and split the tank in half, the dominating pair seem to think they own both caves and have chased the male to the upper portion of the tank. Leaving his mate to freely swim wherever she wants minus the main cave they have called home.

Any idea's of what I should do? The male in question is already showing signs on his tail or damage, although not serious yet, I am just worried. I've had 2 mated pairs of Convict Cichlids in a 35g tank before and not had any issues, this is the first time I have seen this and since I know very little to nothing about these Albino Cichlids I need to know if I need to do something quickly or if this activity will stop and both pairs can live in harmony at some point. I am especially worried about the mated pair that is not able to spend time together. Advice, opinions and facts on these fish would be much appreciated. And moving them is impossible, I do not have another tank.

I apologize if these are not clear, done on my cell.

This is my male that is being picked on.

This is on the left side of the tank, home to the dominating male and female. That is the dominating pair inside their cave.

This is the weaker female who is paired with the male being picked on. As you can see her and her mate are unable to be together as he is constantly chased around the tank.

This is the right side of my tank, and I was surprised I got this picture, this is the pair that is weaker and are actually getting some quality alone time in the safety of this cave.

I have a few questions, I've been a Convict Cichlid Breeder for years but haven't since 2008, however the pet store near me did not have anymore so I decided to switch it up.

I just bought a 35g tank. I went to the pet store and got very lucky to find 2 already paired Albino Cichlids. I tried to google these Cichlids and have yet to find anything on them but a bunch of pictures. I will start off by saying I do not have pictures so I apologize. I have 2 large males (2"s each) and 2 females (1.5" each).

Question 1: The pet store told me these are South American Albino Convict Cichlids, yet the only type of Albino Cichlids I found were African. So are they African or S. American?

Question 2: One pair has already come out and made themselves known they "own" the entire tank and have pretty much picked on the male (leaving the mate alone). It is pure 2 on 1 action. I don't understand why they are leaving his female alone and picking on him, and I am worried now because he will not even go near his mate. But she tries to get close to him and during safe moments he will stick around, if this activity continues will he lose complete interest in her and just watch his own back?

I have set up 2 caves and split the tank in half, the dominating pair seem to think they own both caves and have chased the male to the upper portion of the tank. Leaving his mate to freely swim wherever she wants minus the main cave they have called home.

Any idea's of what I should do? The male in question is already showing signs on his tail or damage, although not serious yet, I am just worried. I've had 2 mated pairs of Convict Cichlids in a 35g tank before and not had any issues, this is the first time I have seen this and since I know very little to nothing about these Albino Cichlids I need to know if I need to do something quickly or if this activity will stop and both pairs can live in harmony at some point. I am especially worried about the mated pair that is not able to spend time together. Advice, opinions and facts on these fish would be much appreciated. And moving them is impossible, I do not have another tank.

can you post a picture of the fish?

They could very well be SA or CA. Albino variants aren't all that uncommon in the pet trade. Very rare in the wild. I hate to say it, but it's imperitive to get them positively IDd and so pics will be needed. Without that, I'd say to keep the pair and rehome everything else in the tank. How large are they? Can you describe them? What size tank are they in?

They could very well be SA or CA. Albino variants aren't all that uncommon in the pet trade. Very rare in the wild. I hate to say it, but it's imperitive to get them positively IDd and so pics will be needed. Without that, I'd say to keep the pair and rehome everything else in the tank. How large are they? Can you describe them? What size tank are they in?

Pictures were posted as you posted! 35g tank as I said.

Aha! lol

They look like pink convicts to me.

yes, definitely appear to be pink convicts... to answer your other questions, i'm by far no sa/ca expert (or expert at anything for that matter), but i'd say 1 pair in a 35g tank is enough. you're probably seeing the affects of too much aggression and territorial need in too small of a tank, but then again, thats just my opinion

The one thing I don't understand though is, I've had duo Convict Cichlids in a 35g tank before and each pair left each other alone.

I have this tank set up left and right with caves and plants protecting the middle to hide each side. Unfortunately the dominating pair feels they can go wherever they want and live wherever they want! I just don't understand why they leave the female alone and only team up on the lone male?!?!

I'll try. If I miss anything, please re-ask. They are CA as I'm sure you already know from your past convict experience. I would remove all but the pair. They are cons so they will be prolific and mean.

Back
Top Bottom