algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah. My lights are on from 8 am to 9 pm. You'd think that would produce some dang algae! I read about growing it on a rock in sunlight. Can anybody vouch for this?

Yup, just get some clean river rocks, a tray with dechlorinated water in it, put the rocks in the tray and put the tray in the sun. Works a treat, but it can take a couple of days in some cases.

I leave my lights on for extra time when I want more algae.

Well, you need to come to my Oscar Tank it is stupid with Algae actually looking into a (can't believe I'm considering) a Bristle nosed Pleco.

My tank has over 12 hours of light, in my basement and home office.

Need to cut back on the lights

MissSmish said:
Yup, just get some clean river rocks, a tray with dechlorinated water in it, put the rocks in the tray and put the tray in the sun. Works a treat, but it can take a couple of days in some cases.

I'm going to assume you mean actual river rocks FROM a river? That probably sounds stupid but hey, I buy vase rocks that are river rocks. Lol I was reading that you need an actual algae sample. Is that so or can it self...uh...what's the word... like just grow itself w/o a spore?

Pton46 said:
Well, you need to come to my Oscar Tank it is stupid with Algae actually looking into a (can't believe I'm considering) a Bristle nosed Pleco.

My tank has over 12 hours of light, in my basement and home office.

Need to cut back on the lights

I totally would come scrape your algae if that meant I could have it! Haha, and its hard to turn off the lights eh? I'm addicted to my fish, and I can't see them without the light soo... yeah I'm with you.

LOL no, I mean just smooth rocks, I use the vase ones too, after scrubbing them in treated water (dechlorinated with Prime). Basically any smooth, non porous rocks that don't bubble if you put vinegar on them. If you leave it out in the sun for 2-3 days you should see algae in there. I don't know how it works, it just does lol!

MissSmish said:
LOL no, I mean just smooth rocks, I use the vase ones too, after scrubbing them in treated water (dechlorinated with Prime). Basically any smooth, non porous rocks that don't bubble if you put vinegar on them. If you leave it out in the sun for 2-3 days you should see algae in there. I don't know how it works, it just does lol!

Just what I wanted to hear! thank you.

Back
Top Bottom