angelfish and other cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gilligan1989

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a recently cycled 55 gallon tank and want a couple angels. Are there any other docile south american cichlids that can live with angels? Thanks everyone!

Welcome to AA!

For a 55 gallon, yes keyholes should work. They're very cool fish. However, they are more timid than angelfish, generally, so I would recommend adding the largest keyholes you can find with similar sized or smaller angelfish. Both angelfish and keyholes like lots of plant cover (they don't care if the plants are real or fake), and the keyholes will appreciate the addition of caves (again, rock caves or fake decor, whatever is your preference). Angelfish tend to cruise all over the tank and stay primarily in the top half; while keyholes stay almost exclusively toward the bottom of the tank and tend to hang out around caves and/or other decor. Keyholes are great fish and IMO, very underrated. :)

Sure, that's not a bad idea at all. If you are adding all small fish, you can probably add the angels and keyholes all at once, but whichever way you are most comfortable with is fine. For most people, it's easier to find small angels. Quarter size body and larger are typically more hardy than smaller ones. I would also recommend adding some peaceful dithers like flame tetra, lemon tetra, harlequin rasbora, threadfin rainbow, praecox rainbow, stuff like that. You will see more of your keyholes that way. IME with all these species, the more cover and decor you have, the faster they will settle in and color up.

Thank u very much for all your help!

Oh, I should have mentioned... I would either:
Add the angelfish and the keyholes at the same time, or...
Add the keyholes first and then the angelfish.

I probably would not add the angels first, just because the keyholes tend to be a lot more passive than a lot of angels.

Good luck and be sure to post pics. :)

Yes, i have an established keyhole pair and an orange chromide in a us42 gallon tank and yesterday added a fairly large Angel (about the same length as the Keyholes) and they're doing great. That was after i tried the Angel in a US46 gallon with a Firemouth, Threadfin Acara, Rainbow and female convict. The first three left it alone, but it wasn't long before the Convict (who is usually quite well behaved) started pecking away at the Angel in a way that would have ended up with a dead Angel. I jiggled my cichlids around between my three tanks and all is good now.

Back
Top Bottom