API xp filstar cannister filters? Others? Making an upgrade plan.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have this?

I am looking to upgrade my 55 to a 90 tall by the beginning of next year.

The cost of the tank is one thing, but I want to get everything else I'll need first.
Including: a new heater, about 40 more lbs of Sahara Cichlid sand, and a filter.

I absolutely LOVE my API superclear with Bio-chem zorb on my 30. So it seems like an API cannister filter would be the best choice.

I have never used a canister filter before.
How loud are they? Is there a better one I should look into?
The plan is to set up the filter on my 55 first, so I can streamlessly move everything into the 90 once I get it without having to cycle again. I have about 60 pounds of Sand right now, so I will move that over, and add the additional 30-40 pounds. And I have enough decor to fill the 90 already.
I have 2 55 gallon heaters, would this work? Or would I be better off getting one larger rated heater?
My UV sterilizer is rated for 100 gallons so no worries there.

Anyone have this?

I have never used a canister filter before.
How loud are they? Is there a better one I should look into?

I have 2 55 gallon heaters, would this work? Or would I be better off getting one larger rated heater?

Canisters are so quiet you don't know they're on.
Quality: eheim, fluval
Value: sunsun (aquatop)
I don't have experience with API.
Two heaters give better coverage and backup if one goes bad, but it's one more gadget to see in the tank. Personally I'd go for a higher quality, higher wattage single heater.

I have an xp xl on my 75 and a xp m on my 55. Love them both.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have an eheim 2217 on my 60g, so, so quiet, you really can't tell it's on if you don't see the water movement. About $150. Eheim and fluval seem like they get the best reviews for canisters.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a marineland canister running on my 20 gallon and I've used it for 2 years on a couple different tanks now. It's pretty quiet, and I'm a stickler when it comes to my tank making noise.

What I like most about the API is the bio-chem zorb, and nitra-zorb

I can go weeks without a water change in my overstocked 30 with it.

I have a Marineland Penquin and a Fluval Aquaclear on my 55. They both work great although the Fluval is expensive with all those inserts.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm very much just in the planning stages so I'm going to do a little more digging.

Back
Top Bottom