Aqua tech powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just bought an aqua-tech power head and I plugged in the the air tube at the top and it started blowing bubbles without the air pump on! Do I even need the air pump or can I just the the airline tubbing in by itself? Thanks.

You don't need one regardless. If you wan't bubbles, then that's up to you. If the powerhead is giving you the look you want, great. If not, you'll need to hook up to an air pump and a bubble wand or air stone.

Can you get bubbles without a pump? If so, how? Do you have to aim it at surface?

To get bubbles, you'll need an air pump, or you can use the powerhead like you found out. But... if you don't want bubbles, you don't need them. Surface agitation is what you need, whether it's by bubbles, a filter, powerhead, etc. If you have a filter on the tank, chances are it's giving you adequate surface agitation. If you want to be sure, you can put your powerhead close to the surface or point it upward so that the top of the water looks like a lake on a windy day... that'll allow gas exchange between the air and the water.

Okay thanks. So nothing bad will happen if I just plug in the air tube with no pump to get bubbles?

Back
Top Bottom