Are these cichlids all comp in the long run?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flipmikeskater3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set up a new 55 gallon Malawi tank a while back these are my current fish, all ranging from 1" to 3" I'm fairly new to Africans, all get along great right now :)

I'm wondering if all them will be okay in the long run?

How many more fish could I add?

Also what other types would be good additions if I rehome 3 or so of the yellow labs (girl friend thinks there is too many yellow ones lol)?

-6 yellow labs
-1 hongi
-1 Pseudotropheus demasoni
-1 male OB peacock
-1male ruby red peacock
-1 male dragon blood peacock
-1 albino red zebra
-1 unknown (pic underneath could use some help identifying)
-1 male albino bristle nose plecostomus

Attachments

• image-756840809.jpg
    image-756840809.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 74
IMO I think you are done. If you rehome the all the Labs maybe one other. I think you are overstocked as it is those peacocks will get to 6inch plus. What type of filtration you running?

Your fish looks like this which is a Blue Peacock, very Aggressive

blue_peacock1.jpg

Yeah I kinda want to get rid of some of the yellow labs what other type would you suggest if I did rehome some?

I have two HOB filters a marine land 400 rated up to 90g and a top fin up to 65g I think. Levels are all good and water is always clear.

I think you need to decide between peacocks and mbuna.In my experience the 2 dont work together long term and the peacocks will suffer for it.

garfy said:
I think you need to decide between peacocks and mbuna.In my experience the 2 dont work together long term and the peacocks will suffer for it.

Yeah pet stores sold them to me with out even saying about that and now I'm researching them and it say I should mix them, in general I think I like my peacocks more but I also love the hongi and demansoni! Such a hard desicion, idk what to do!

Here are a couple of my favorite ones

Attachments

• image-3964623860.jpg
    image-3964623860.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1027423171.jpg
    image-1027423171.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 69
  • image-4089236689.jpg
    image-4089236689.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2847975502.jpg
    image-2847975502.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 67
Nice looking fish.For colour and grace peacocks are very beautiful fish.Mbuna have great colour too but IMO also have that extra zing.They're always on the move.

garfy said:
Nice looking fish.For colour and grace peacocks are very beautiful fish.Mbuna have great colour too but IMO also have that extra zing.They're always on the move.

Yeah I've only really dealt with SA/CA cichlids in the past so I don't know to much about Africans.

What are some pro and cons of Mbunas and peacocks?

If you want fry mbuna will provide those definately and as I said they are always on the move and very interesting to watch.They are more aggressive and boisterous than peacocks and their territorial battles can be very interesting to watch.You will also get more mbuna in your tank because there are many species that only reach about 4" in length.

Peacocks come in some brilliant colours and their long flowing find and tail look spectacular when they mature.However they can get big therefore you won't be able to have as many in your tank.
At the end of the day have a good think about it,do a bit more research on the different types of peacock and mbuna and then make your decision.

Thanks I'll try to make up my mind soon lol

Do you know what type this one is?
One person said blue peacock but it's not shiny like the pic he posted

Attachments

• image-3487837272.jpg
    image-3487837272.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom