Best type of light bulb for africans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flipmikeskater3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon with only two 18" fluorescent light fixtures on top, and my bulbs are very yellow and don't show off the cichlids colors very well.

What are the best type of bulbs to make them stick out and accentuate their true colors?

I use a 10k and actinic in my dual bulb t5 to give it a bit of a reef color making the colors really pop especially on black blasting sand :)

Yeah I've heard that is a nice look,
how about a 50/50 bulk bc i have one bulb on each side of tank, are those ones nice looking?

Flipmikeskater3 said:
Yeah I've heard that is a nice look,
how about a 50/50 bulk bc i have one bulb on each side of tank, are those ones nice looking?

That's what my friend uses and it looks good imo too. Not quite as nice since less actinic but still makes their colors pop more then most bulbs.

Alright thanks, I might try 50/50 until I get a two light fixture or something.

Also where you purchase you black sand and how much was it? I'm looking to change from gravel to sand soon

I got black diamond blasting sand from tractor supply co (50lbs for like $7)

Mrc8858 said:
I got black diamond blasting sand from tractor supply co (50lbs for like $7)

Is this the same stuff?
Was it hard to clean?
Does it ever get stuck in filters?
And most importantly do the fish like it?!

Thanks

Attachments

• image-362537888.jpg
    image-362537888.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 88
Yep that's it.. it was pretty easy to clean and my cichlids love it. Also I have yet to have any issues with it in my filters.

Is this the same stuff?
Was it hard to clean?
Does it ever get stuck in filters?
And most importantly do the fish like it?!

Thanks

I use the same stuff. There were 2 different grades course and fine. I went with the course thinking it would be heavier, and I haven't had any problems with my filters either.
My Africans like digging in it.

Thanks, I'm gonna go get some blasting sand and new bulbs this week, then the last thing on my wish list for my Malawi tank will be Texas hokey rock lol

Thanks, I'm gonna go get some blasting sand and new bulbs this week, then the last thing on my wish list for my Malawi tank will be Texas hokey rock lol

IMO they are a waste of money. It looks nice but it's very expensive.I took mine from the river and cleaned them good.

Just make sure you have a big tub to rinse it in. I didn't rinse mine as good as I thought I did. And my tank was cloudy for 4 days. And my filter was filthy black.

Went with the 50/50 bulbs look much better and the fishes colors are more vibrant

Attachments

• image-3065620300.jpg
    image-3065620300.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom