Bolivian Ram with corries? In a 20g long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i got the 30x12x12" 20 gal running and was trying to decide on what future tankmates to plan for. I am trying to set it up for 8 or so panda corries. I had forgotten about them entirely, but i was going to have some in my old 29 gallon before giving it to my girlfriend instead. It is the same footprint, but would you guys advise against having a single bolivian ram in this tank with the corries? First i worry about the water capacity. And then there is the fact that they tend more towards the bottom of the tank where there will be peaceful corries. So ram or no ram?

I would say it would be fine, but I would go for German Blue Rams. Great colours but not as hardy as the bolivians. But its up to you, both would work well!

I say yes, I have them together with no problems. Up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium ukulele

Thanks for the input. What size tank was it? Id love to have one of these guys but i dont want to have the others stressed out. Here is kind of what i was thinking for stocking. My main concern is that the BR, corries, and rummynose all seem to be listed as bottom-mid level swimmers. Would this be an issue? This tank is not very tall so its all pretty much at the bottom anyways lol

Another issue is that AqAvisor recommends 40% waterchanges weekly, yet is 90% stocked. So im thinking it stocks based on footprint and that this tank doesnt have the water capacity to really keep up. So i might stock more towards 30% weekly so its not too much of a water difference. This tank had so much space before i put in the substrate lol

Attachments

• AquStockImage 20long.png
    AquStockImage 20long.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 75
I've kept Bolivian Rams with peppered cories before, no problem. Only aggression I saw was amongst the Rams.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I've got 3 bolivians with 20 corys in a 40b. They'll be fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm chiming in late, and agree that Bolivians should do OK in this setup. I wouldn't do GBRs with Panda Corys. Pandas like temps in the low/mid 70s, while GBRs should be at 80-86 F.

I've kept a single bolivian with a group of corydoras julii in a 26 gallon (smaller footprint than a 20 long) and had no issues.

Thanks for the input. What size tank was it? Id love to have one of these guys but i dont want to have the others stressed out. Here is kind of what i was thinking for stocking. My main concern is that the BR, corries, and rummynose all seem to be listed as bottom-mid level swimmers. Would this be an issue? This tank is not very tall so its all pretty much at the bottom anyways lol

Another issue is that AqAvisor recommends 40% waterchanges weekly, yet is 90% stocked. So im thinking it stocks based on footprint and that this tank doesnt have the water capacity to really keep up. So i might stock more towards 30% weekly so its not too much of a water difference. This tank had so much space before i put in the substrate lol

I have all of these in a 54 gallon corner bowfront with no problems. The corys are juveniles, been in there for about 4-5 months, the Bolivian Rams just ignore them.

I have all of these in a 54 gallon corner bowfront with no problems. The corys are juveniles, been in there for about 4-5 months, the Bolivian Rams just ignore them.

Awesome to hear. Thanks guys! Any thoughts on of a Bolivian Ram would be ok in this more shallow tank? Its 12" tall, but get the substrate in and its not a crazy amount of room. But i guess its still not a huge fish so it probably wouldnt matter

Awesome to hear. Thanks guys! Any thoughts on of a Bolivian Ram would be ok in this more shallow tank? Its 12" tall, but get the substrate in and its not a crazy amount of room. But i guess its still not a huge fish so it probably wouldnt matter

My bolivian never went above the middle of the tank in my 26 bowfront. They tend to stay close to the bottom in my experience.

Panda cories are a bit sensitive compared to other species IME and I haven't had cories with rams but never heard of it being an issue.

Sinibotia - I bet your cories were trilineatus :)

Ram would work perfectly.
I had a close setup as you. Corys were never bothered.

Thanks again guys. Ive loved the rams since i first came across them when i was starting out and looking at different species. Good to know they should do ok with eachother.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether the 20 gallon long tank would be good for a bolivian? Ill be doing weekly water changes and plan to have live plants as well. But i worry about such a small amount of water for nitrates

Does anyone have any opinions on whether the 20 gallon long tank would be good for a bolivian? Ill be doing weekly water changes and plan to have live plants as well. But i worry about such a small amount of water for nitrates

The Bolivian will do fine in a 20 long.

20 gallons isn't a ton of water, but it's still relatively flexible. Unless you really overstock your tank, a weekly 5 gallon water change should be enough. I have a 20 high that's been stocked with a Clown Pleco, 6 Three-lined Corys, and 19 Green Neons for over a month. I change out 5 gallons per week and have yet to see my nitrate level hit 10 ppm. The plants help, but still.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom