Bullying angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

busymom23

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 36 gal bow front and have 2 Angels and a clown pleco. Filtration is Fluval 306. The Angels are very close to same size, about a silver dollar coin, but one is ruthlessly nipping the other, chasing him around the tank. I rescaped tank yesterday and added more plants, but it's not helped at all. I know they establish dominance, but is that what this is? How long does it last? Should I move the bully to another tank? I have a 300 gallon with mostly community but current is stronger in there than the 36. Attached is pic of my 36. Any advice is appreciated as I don't like to see the one with frayed fins and getting picked on constantly! Today is day 3 of bullying..
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425934362.304318.jpg
One on left is victim, right side is bully.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 36 gal bow front and have 2 Angels and a clown pleco. Filtration is Fluval 306. The Angels are very close to same size, about a silver dollar coin, but one is ruthlessly nipping the other, chasing him around the tank. I rescaped tank yesterday and added more plants, but it's not helped at all. I know they establish dominance, but is that what this is? How long does it last? Should I move the bully to another tank? I have a 300 gallon with mostly community but current is stronger in there than the 36. Attached is pic of my 36. Any advice is appreciated as I don't like to see the one with frayed fins and getting picked on constantly! Today is day 3 of bullying..
View attachment 266846
One on left is victim, right side is bully.

Unfortunately, this IS the nature of Angelfish. Some can be just lovely little special fish in an aquarium and others can be real SH#@HEADS. :( ( I have both. lol ) Since they do live in a hierarchy society, the bullying can go on indefinitely so if this behavior bothers you and you are not willing to possibly lose the victim, you will need to separate them. In some cases, after a few days to a few weeks, reintroduction will not yield the same result and things can be fine. HOWEVER, there are no guarantees that this will happen so be prepared to remove the bully again and just keep him/her separately in another tank. As I said, when it comes to Angelfish, they aren't always Angels.:angel: As a Cichlid, they can be very aggressive fish towards not only other Angels but other fish as well. Each fish, however, is unique to their behavior.

Hope this helps. (y)

Yea....that's what I was afraid of. My 300 where is move the bully to has tetras, mollies, a blood parrot 2 severums, firemouth, rhino Pleco, silver dollars and Cory cats. There are also 2 tiger barbs which I'm afraid will pick on the angel of I move him there, but I don't have another option, other than leave him to keep bullying or give him back to pet store...thanks for the detailed reply!

Back
Top Bottom