Can I add this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghostking010

Aquarium Advice Freak
So was wondering if i can add this trophi in with my all mbuna setup its a 55 gallon with 8 mbuna jw

image-3974993528.jpg

I would advise against it. Trophs are extremely aggressive and known as killers and should be in species only tanks with a large group of their own kind.

I'm guilty of it and he has been with my mbuna for months now and holds his own acts as if he was a mbuna from what I see he's also the only trop in the tank.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131112_202755.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131112_202755.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 82
Yeah, some people can get a good mixture, but IMO better safe than sorry, and i just personally don't like the idea of mixing the rift lakes.
If you are really set on having it though, keep an eye on him! They can cause some damage pretty quickly!

So adding a group is a no no lol i mean my mbuna are pretty bad themself eaven my ice blue red top thats full grown and red zebra

Ime it's not that they are aggressive but do better in a large species only colony because they enjoy setting up a hierarchy. I have a yellow banded moori in my mixed tank and he only picks on my Compressiceps which is kinda weird but otherwise he's a baby.

Tropheus aren't exactly aggressive really. They can hold their own. The trouble comes in when with conspecific aggression, they will kill each other if the group isn't large enough. A small group almost always ends up in 1 adult left standing. And by small, I mean less than 12 lol

Reactions: HN1
I've been researching Tropheus for some time (haven't yet pulled the trigger on them, maybe some day), and it is my understanding that a 55 gallon would be a bare minimum setup for a group- as gecko says, 12 or more to keep them from killing each other, and I've heard to start with even more than that. I wouldn't personally mix them with Mbuna, although I'm sure plenty of people do it and get away with it. Plenty of people also keep them as single specimens, which I wouldn't do because they are so social (albeit, aggressive) with their conspecifics.

Maybe that's why I have success with having one individual. And he chases a few low rank fish so not too aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom