Can you identify this cichlid? - WE HAVE A WINNER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got this guy yesterday. The tank did have the fish name, but the petstore where I got him is completely redoing and expanding their aquarium and fish area so not everything is where it should be.

So far he is still being timid and staying down in the corner behind the white rock so I have only been able to get one good picture. unfortunately, this one that is shown here does not give a good enough showing of his colors. I have never had a fish that could change colors so drastically. The photo here is about as pale as he gets. Most of the time he is a couple of shades darker with brighter colors.

Please let me know what kind of cichlid you think it is. I'll let you know how the tank was labeld after I get a couple of respones so I don't prejudice the answers.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4235
Thank,
Sean[/img]

That it one that I have not seen before. What is the scale? Do you know where it originated from?

I don't think it's a hero. I have a green and a gold hero and having the advantage of looking at both in the same tank, I just don't think so. Although the temperament seems about right.

As far as size, I would guess about 4 1/4" total lenth and about 2 1/2" tall. I really wish he would come out of hiding, his colors are much more pronounced right now. I will try and add another picture to help. I believe it is a South or Central American Cichlid - New World either way.

What was the name on the tank at the store?

I was going to mention a species I was thinking about earlier, but I'd rather know what name was there (even if there's a chance it was entirely wrong) and see pictures of the other color patterns on the fish first.

Ok, I am going to withdraw my assertion that it may not be some type of Hero. The more I look at it, the more I am not sure. I just added a new picture that does a much better job of showing its color; although he is still not out in the open. As soon as the picture is approved I will add a link to it as well.

To end the suspense, the label at the store was Pink Convict. I just don't think so. The temperament does not seem to match, at least not yet, and the colors don't match that of any pink convict I have seen. I think you will see this better in the new picture.

Ok here's the link http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4240

IME, convicts don't get nasty until they are much larger. It may just be me, but all the convicts I have ever seen tend to be more rounded.

I would actually go with the pet store's label at this point. Comparing the photos you've supplied with a few different genera/species yields results that still make it most similar to some kind of convict. Granted the colors aren't exactly right for a "pink" convict, but the shape seems to be in line with what one would expect for a younger fish of that species, particularly a female.

The fins seem a little off, but that may because of the angle of the shot(s) or because of the fish's age. But it looks like a (female..) convict of some variety...IMHO..

We have a winner!

In a comment posted to one of my pictures, glasstapper suggested the fish might be a vieja synspilum. I did a search on that name and found some pictures that look VERY similar to this fish. In my searching, I found two other common names for this fish: Quetzal Cichlid and Redheaded Cichlid.

As I mentioned, the petstore where I got this fish was remodeling there aquarium center and many of the tanks had notes on them such as which tanks the fish would belong in. So, I did not take enough notice of the additional writting on the tank this fish was in. What it also said, and I did not remember until I read the name just a minute ago, was "Redheaded NFS." I assume NFS to mean Not For Sale. Well, at the time I made my purchase, all four of the fish in the tank were pale and similar in color. I just figured the Redheaded Cichlid (whatever that was) had already been moved out. Looks like I was mistaken.

Fortunately, from what I have read, this fish will still do very well in my tank of South American Cichlids - probably even better than a pink convict would have done.

I don't know if I should feel guilty of not, but I suppose it's not my fault that their employees don't know what kind of fish they are selling. The guy who normally runs that dept was not there so a girl who normally works in other departments had to assist me.

BTW, I got the fish for $8.99. I don't now how much the Redheaded's usually go for, but I am thinking I probably got a very good deal.

Thanks for all your help.

Not familiar with the redheads, but I'd have to agree in that getting a cichlid that big for the price you gave is a bargain.

Looks like your running outta real estate in that 55g :wink:

I know, I am thinking about getting a tank for the bedroom, but we have a large window that fills the room with light most of the day. My wife loves the natural light so algae would be a real problem. I may have to confiscate part of the living room. :lol:

Don't know why but the last message posted twice. I don't know how to delete so I just typed this instead. BTW, how do I delete this post?

FYI--You can't delete a post. The best you can do is edit :wink: Often you will see two posts from the same person in which the second message reads "Double post :oops:
If there is a serious problem, an advisor can help out.

glad to be of help, and mine has become one of my favs. her name is jill and currently has a boyfriend, and is @ 10 inches i can feed her by hand and it took a looong time for her to come out and play

Back
Top Bottom