Canister filter for Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddiienno

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so I recently bought 2 oscars which are currently in a 30 gal with a 55 gal HOB filter. I have a 55 in the works and I want to go with a canister filter. Any recommendations?

Any particular reason you want a canister? Aside from being a little more customizable than a hob, they're not a lot of pros to them IMO. Both function equally from my experiences

2 oscars in a 30g is not going to last long. They have a very high bioload. I'd suggest at least a 100g for both once adults. Canisters work wonders with oscars. Fluval Fx5 is a common favorite

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It's in my living room looking to cut down on noise also heard they do a better job but that's just opinions I assume

They function the same except a canister can hold a bit more media. I have only HOBs now, ranging from Topfin's to Aquaclears, I would not consider any of them loud. I have a 55g and 29g in my living room with 4 total hob's running and it doesn't bother me a bit. Canisters require a lot more maintainence. Weekly cleanings and such. Combined with the price, I personally would save the money from buying a canister, and buy a 90-120g tank and two Aquaclear 110s. A 55g won't house two adult Oscars. They'll grow to 1ft each in a year.

Well, as you can see there are differing opinions. I think canisters are the way to go. They do a much better job cleaning the tank IMO. I clean mine every 4 months or so. Are they a pain to clean? I don't think so. But, I have done it for so many years that I do not notice. If you go HOB AquaClear is definitely the best HOB.

As far as canisters go, you will get recommendations for Fluval and Eheim. Is one better than the other?...you cannot go wrong either way I don't think. Go with the the best deal!

Personally I like canisters but they get a bit pricey. I actually go to the flea market and find filters for cheap. I always open the box up there to make sure the parts and such are there. I actually just bought a marine land 350b for 10 bucks and the thing was new in box and runs like a champ. If I had to suggest a hob for oscars it would be aqua-clears or marine land emperor 400 or the penguin 350.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use fluvals and part of the reason I like them is that they are silent in my tank. Plus they produce a stronger, direct able flow, and I can load the media I want and lots of it

Is yours, like, whisper quiet?

I stopped using Marineland because of impeller problems. My Penguin 350B had a Marineland impeller problem and I had to sleep in another room because it was so loud till I got another filter for the tank.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I stopped using Marineland because of impeller problems. My Penguin 350B had a Marineland impeller problem and I had to sleep in another room because it was so loud till I got another filter for the tank.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Gotcha. Yea, mine drives me insane.

All three of mine are basically silent...2 fluval 405's and a small marineland

Back
Top Bottom