Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

chinese algae eater

hi, looking for some experience with how well chinese algae eater mix with african cichlids, and if they mix well with pleco, thank you

Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foskett96 View Post
hi, looking for some experience with how well chinese algae eater mix with african cichlids, and if they mix well with pleco, thank you
Chinese Algae Eaters are docile until they get big. Once they get big they become carnivorous and kill other fish.

My experience with plecos is almost the same as the chinese algae eater. They get big and mean. But there are alternatives such as: (TRUE) Siamese Algae Eater, Otocinclus, Rubber lipped Pleco,

As far as compatibility with cichlids goes: I have no clue.

dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutl002 View Post
Chinese Algae Eaters are docile until they get big. Once they get big they become carnivorous and kill other fish.

My experience with plecos is almost the same as the chinese algae eater. They get big and mean. But there are alternatives such as: (TRUE) Siamese Algae Eater, Otocinclus, Rubber lipped Pleco,
i have heard as well as the get bigger they get aggressive, i thought this trait would make them a good candidate from a cichlid tank
Old 04-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a spotted colombian pleco in my tank and no cichlid bothers him
Old 04-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan2020 View Post
I have a spotted colombian pleco in my tank and no cichlid bothers him
i have a gibbiceps pleco in with my cichlids. the cichlids used to beat him up but now hes kinda aggressive to them so they leave him alone
Old 04-23-2014, 04:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have one and he holds his own .. I have had pleco too and in my opinion the Chinese algae eater is the way to go.. The one I have is 3 inches ... He doesn't bother other fish but will stand his ground if others try and mess with him ...
Old 04-23-2014, 05:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmac1972 View Post
I have one and he holds his own .. I have had pleco too and in my opinion the Chinese algae eater is the way to go.. The one I have is 3 inches ... He doesn't bother other fish but will stand his ground if others try and mess with him ...
would you say they are a better algae eater then plecos?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes... Again in my opinion they are... I have 100+ lbs of holey rock and he is keeping clean... I have had a couple bristlenose plecos and the algae eater does a much better job.... I also think some plecos prefer drift wood... So for my set up the algae eater works the best... Good luck
Old 04-23-2014, 06:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmac1972 View Post
Yes... Again in my opinion they are... I have 100+ lbs of holey rock and he is keeping clean... I have had a couple bristlenose plecos and the algae eater does a much better job.... I also think some plecos prefer drift wood... So for my set up the algae eater works the best... Good luck

Thank you very much. Might pick one or two of them up
Old 04-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have 2 Chinese algae eaters in my malawi tank, both about 3 inches. They do great, way better than a pleco, hold their ground way better than a pleco and look way better than a pleco in my opinion. Never had an issue with them bothering my malawis yet either, but they are aggressive so might be an issue in the future.

Tags
algae, algae eater, ate, chi, eat, eater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com