Cichlid I.D.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bichir Bro

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! I was browsing my local Petco when this guy caught my eye, and I was totally clueless on what he is! It's rare I'm stumped at a Petco but this ones got me. Any help is appreciated (and no I have not purchased him just curious on what it he may be!) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411598261.236974.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411598285.463875.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411598229.283684.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like a stressed out red texas cichlid

I was going to say I'm probably wrong but maybe a red Texas then I saw the last picture and the head looks too thick to me. Was it labeled at all.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was going to say I'm probably wrong but maybe a red Texas then I saw the last picture and the head looks too thick to me. Was it labeled at all.

Nope, only two fish that were labeled was a Keyhole and Malawi Eye Biter. This one had no name.

There were also no employees around so I couldn't ask any of them to see if it's on previous order sheets.

Even if they looked it up u still probably woulnt know. The petco by be has some nice looking geos their labeled EARTH EATERS I asked if they knew witch geophagus they were and was told they don't have geophagus. I showed the manager the tank and she said no not geophagus those are earth eaters an there are no other names for them.

Even if they looked it up u still probably woulnt know. The petco by be has some nice looking geos their labeled EARTH EATERS I asked if they knew witch geophagus they were and was told they don't have geophagus. I showed the manager the tank and she said no not geophagus those are earth eaters an there are no other names for them.

Yeah, poor guys been in that tank since the middle of July...I feel bad and kinda want him but I don't buy fish without even a clue on what it is.

I'm not positive but it looks like a young chocolate Cichlid (hypselecara temporalis).

That's what I thought at first but the body shape (and head) is very off to me.

There are 2 species of chocolate cichlid, H. temporalis and H. coryphaenoides. Yours looks to be the latter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There are 2 species of chocolate cichlid, H. temporalis and H. coryphaenoides. Yours looks to be the latter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

any clue as to how big they get?

Pretty big! Around 12".

Interesting. Thanks! Guess I won't be relieving this guy of his retail tank any time soon lol!

Im still shocked that petco by you had Cleithracara maronii or choclates for that matter.

Im still shocked that petco by you had Cleithracara maronii or choclates for that matter.

Yeah the one near me is fairly nice, always got stuff that makes me go, "why does a Petco have that?!"

Back
Top Bottom