Cichlid id??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I am still at a loss to what this fish is.. i first got it cause i thought it might turn red but it has stayed brownish red with darker verticle stripes. THis is the best pic i could get. There is a bright yellow dot on the anal fin ... anybody have a clue?
Thanks

Attachments

• mystery_cichlid.jpg
    mystery_cichlid.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 60
some sort of peacock, i doubt the locale will ever be known.
I have a little albino one identical to that, same deal, could be anything.
hth

Matt.

erg.. lol.. i really want to know what it is!!! He doesn't really fit in at all with my other fish but he doesn't mess with anybody and nobody messes with hiim. Hes kinda muddy colored compared to all the rest but I just can't bring myself to take him back... lol.. i kind of like him.

If the fish does not have coloration as it matures, then it is most likely a female. It is VERY hard to determine the specie of female haps. I'd say when it reaches about 2 1/2 in size and it hasn't achieved coloration, then its a female hap. If you're going for an Mbuna tank, then you'll need to return her.

yes i am doing a mbuna tank.. all of the ones listed in my signature are mbuna right???

If there are no problems do i absolutely have to return her :(

If you're going for an all Mbuna tank then of course the Rainbow Shark and Loaches will have to go in addition to any haps. But if you're not really concerned about having a strictly Mbuna tank, then I wouldn't worry about it. We have several haps that we can't bare to get rid of because they are so pretty but we wanted an all Mbuna tank. Oh well. So we are a mix tank. :D It's all good.

ok well then unless i have serious problems.. they all stay!!! If i was starting with cichlids i of course would'nt have gotten the clown loaches and rainbow shark.. but since i had them already i don't see a sense in taking them out if they are living happily... i figure they are better off in my tank than anybody that the LFS might sell them to. And i have had the rainbow shark since the beginning of this tank.. with Bob the pleco. They aren't going anywhere!!! LOL.

you know one thing ive noticed that i really like about cichlids though... they are top middle and bottem dwellers all in one. I see them digging in the gravel for food, pecking at the algae on the plants.. adn they all swarm up top during feeding time.

kind of looks like a young sunshine peacock. I have no Idea on the scientific name for that. I had one in my african days, very pretty fish once they mature,

Back
Top Bottom