Cichlid ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I happen to like Pets of New Hyde Park (New Hyde Park) and Pets Warehouse (Copiague?).

You can check this thread for even more options: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=2505

I've also found some pretty nice fish at both Petco and Petsmart. With the chain stores, I find that quality varies from store to store. The Red Zebras I have are from Petland Discounts in Valley Stream. You can find nice fish in any store as long as you know what you looking a when you see something. There are hybrids and crappy fish in just about any store. It just takes a keen eye to spot the good ones.

Looks like a juvenile variabilichromis moori, but that the first pic has stripes would be odd...
Very difficult to determine some species when they're juveniles and haven't coloured up: I speak from experience re saulosi vs. msobo magunga!

I hope you find out what they are.

The one with the stripes has actually gotten darker in color...I don't know if that is of any significance.

**So yesterday, I noticed that the one with the stripes was hiding near two of my rocks. Didn't really worry too much. I was out all night...When I come home this morning, I see it is still in the same place. I look around, and on top of one of the rocks were a bunch of little clear things. I thought it was clear grains of sand or something, but if I look close enough, there is a tiny brown spec inside of them...or at least I think so. Who knows, they may not even be eggs lol. I never even knew that cichlids could have babies at this age (mine are very young) but I guess I was wrong.

Just cichlids. I heard that same thing too, but I also read that they keep them on rocks as well.

It could be that a female laid the eggs but they were not fertalized so she didn't pick them up. Possibly a new mother. They lay on flat rocks so that would make sense. Chances are they are not fertile though if she didn't pick them up. I'd remove them. If she isn't "tumbling" them they won't hatch.

Back
Top Bottom