Cichlid lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adkjoe

Aquarium Advice Regular
I tried over in the plant section but I figured it will probably better off here...

I'm looking to replace my regular t8 bulb in my 55 gallon. I have a couple live plants in there but nothing that requires high intensity of light. I need a light that will be good for the plants that also won't bother the cichlids. I have a couple new world cichlids and a large pleco. Any suggestions for bulb type? Thanks!

I was looking at the zoomed ocean sun 10,000k but I think that may be to bright for the cichlids. I'm thinking something full spectrum?

6,500k "cool white" T-8 bulbs from Home Depot. It's a cichlid tank no need to over spend. The lights are for our benefit. The fish don't care.

Yea That's what I was thinking but I have a few live plants in there as well that I would like to keep alive. Would that be ok for the plants?

adkjoe said:
Yea That's what I was thinking but I have a few live plants in there as well that I would like to keep alive. Would that be ok for the plants?

If there are cichlids in the tank depending on what type they are those plants won't last long. That's what I have on my tanks and all my low light plants are just fine.

Back
Top Bottom