Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Cheapeeper Send a message via MSN to Cheapeeper Send a message via Yahoo to Cheapeeper
I had the same issues with my Black Convicts I tried to pair up. They fought and fought till I separated them and eventually had to give them both away on freecycle. The fish as amazing as it seems will not forget their territory even if everything is rearranged on them.
I suggest taking one back or maybe both and try different fish.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

*This thread was originally started months ago*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmanjace View Post
one solution is to overpopulate and get a really good filtration system then it will work out
Bad advice in a 20 gal. Overpopulation only works with certain cichlids and tank size will play a big factor.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menagerie View Post
*This thread was originally started months ago*

Bad advice in a 20 gal. Overpopulation only works with certain cichlids and tank size will play a big factor.

It does not matter what size the tank is! Of course you are not going to overpopulate with the same amout of fish you would overpopulate a 100 gallon tank with. The only important thing to look after is the water quality and you need a very good filtrations system. I know it works because I have been doing it for years! Then again you can get a 100 gallon tank and put the 2 chichlids in it and they will still fight!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
You are entitled to your opinion. Size does play a factor. I've had cichlids in a small tank and in a 125 gal. More room means more room for territories and less fighting. What has worked for you is great. The reality is that is doesn't usually work for most people. Personalities of fish do play a factor. You will find that most of us that keep cichlids here will recommend a 55 gal as a minumum tank size for cichlids. Many of us have also kept cichlid for many years and you having had success that way is certainly not the norm for most cichlid keepers.

As Menagerie noted the thread was started in July, the op has probably solved the problem in their tank as there was no updates.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:26 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have had cichlids for years and tried many methods to try and get balance in the aquarium. Due to their nature, you will be fighting a losing battle, at least for the most part and especially in a small tank like yours. But there are a few things you can try.

Maybe the easiest thing for you to do is to rearrange the decor and make MORE hiding spots. This depends on how elaborate your tank set-up is. Clay pots work fantastically.

Another option that many people don't consider is to take out ALL your decor. Often times when you give cichlids no territory to compete over, they won't compete. However, this makes your tank pretty boring.

Sometimes if you remove the more aggressive of the two fish, it can give the newcomer a chance to establish himself. I would often use one of those cheap box nets that hooks onto the side of the aquarium. Put the aggressive fish in their for a week, and feed him less than the other fish. Enough to keep him healthy, but you want to 'knock him down a peg.' After a week, put him back in. If he is still aggressive, then take him out for two weeks. Not only does this separation allow for the new fish to establish territory, it allows him to get larger. In general this technique can work well, but takes time and patience, likes most things in this hobby. I have used this method and actually had the fish that was getting beat up turn a 360 and become the aggressor

Remember that cichlids are a pain due to their aggression. It takes experimenting to get a group of them to 'be civil.'

Hope this helps.

Tags
cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com