cichlids gasping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shauna330

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 tanks both with Cichlids in them. At one time they were all in one 55 gallon tank with a regular bio-wheel filter and were doing just fine. We had gotten a 90 gallon and moved some in there with the fluval canister filter and those fish are doing GREAT. Also may I add, no air stone. However, the rest that are in the 55 gallon tank now also with a fluval canister filter (we changed because they work sooooo much better), instead of a bio-wheel are "gasping" for air. They are staying under the water instead of going to the top and are swimming around just fine, but are not eating very much, if at all. There is not an air stone on this tank any longer but how would one tank be fine without one and the other not (considering that's the issue here)? We have had all the fish for about 6 months. Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be making my fish "gasp"?
Thank You-

It could be a number of things
1) test water now since you changed the filter
What is the quality like?
2) it may have been over stocked which could have been less aggression on each one in the tank.
3) going from a hob filter to a canister would have made less surface agitation. Meaning less air in the tank and not enough gas exchange

I'm thinking an ammonia spike due to the old filter being removed and new one added, removing the majority if beneficial bacteria that breaks down waste. The same could happen to the larger tank, but will take longer due to the larger water volume for waste to be diluted in. I strongly recommend water testing for ammonia, nitrite, and Nitrate - the first 2 being lethal even at low amounts. A water change asap would be my first action after testing or removing water for testing if no test kits are available.

I have 2 tanks both with Cichlids in them. At one time they were all in one 55 gallon tank with a regular bio-wheel filter and were doing just fine. We had gotten a 90 gallon and moved some in there with the fluval canister filter and those fish are doing GREAT. Also may I add, no air stone. However, the rest that are in the 55 gallon tank now also with a fluval canister filter (we changed because they work sooooo much better), instead of a bio-wheel are "gasping" for air. They are staying under the water instead of going to the top and are swimming around just fine, but are not eating very much, if at all. There is not an air stone on this tank any longer but how would one tank be fine without one and the other not (considering that's the issue here)? We have had all the fish for about 6 months. Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be making my fish "gasp"?
Thank You-

You changed filters and did you add old media to help seed the new filter? If not your probably going through a mini cycle, you'll have to keep on top of your water changes and keep those levels down.

Back
Top Bottom