Cichlids in community tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have been shuffling my feet outside of the cichlid forum for weeks now-- wondering if I really want to enter the cichlid realm. Seems like y'all have 175g tanks filled with fish I can't pronounce or identify and get excited about gadgets with numbers after them that I have no idea what they do... It's kinda intimidating!

But lately I've been reading about cichlids in community tanks. And I saw pictures of apistogrammas and fell in love. I seem to like the south and central American species and dwarf cichlids.

So although my normal inclination is to want to set up a species only tank with all the right parameters and decorations (I like a challenge) I am thinking I should start slowly. That said I see so many conflicting opinions on whether apistos and rams are "starter" fish or really difficult. And whether they can be in a tank together and if they can be in a 10g, or need a much bigger tank... You know the drill!

Bottom line: I love planted tanks so a plant friendly species...
I have a 10, a 20 and a possible 33g coming from a neighbor.

What would you do? A pair of apistos or rams in the 20 and see how I do? Set up the 33 for them?

First of all....welcome to the world of cichlids!! Prepare to become addicted! lol

Secondly: there's nothing to be intimidated by, we don't bite....hard. (you had to have seen that coming)

Thirdly: well, I know nothing about SA/CA cichlids. But I too have been thinking about doing a ram tank. And, I too have read they're harder to raise. Guess we'll learn together ;-)

Hi there,

You could do a pair of rams or a pair of Apistos or some other dwarf cichlid in a 20 or 30 Gallon tank with a school of something, ex. neon tetras. A ten gallon isn't big enough for a pair IMO.

Keep in mind that rams and Apistos are sensitive and are known to die randomly of they do survive the first few months. Two of mine have died and I'm down to one after a year and a half with them. For something a little easier, you could try keyhole cichlids or Bolivian rams.

JMO. Good luck, can't wait to see the tank! :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Hi there,

You could do a pair of rams or a pair of Apistos or some other dwarf cichlid in a 20 or 30 Gallon tank with a school of something, ex. neon tetras. A ten gallon isn't big enough for a pair IMO.

Keep in mind that rams and Apistos are sensitive and are known to die randomly of they do survive the first few months. Two of mine have died and I'm down to one after a year and a half with them. For something a little easier, you could try keyhole cichlids or Bolivian rams.

If you don't mind my asking, what's the difference between a ram and a Bolivian ram?

My friend has convicts with red eye tetras, tiger barbs and red blue tetras,peacock eel,firemouths and JD's. It's a 90 gallon tank but still and interesting one to say the least. I'll take some pics next time I'm at his house. Oh and he has 2 goldfish in the tank also!!

I looked at the keyhole cichlids- cool looking but get up to 5 inches and that seems too big for my 33g. But I do like the looks of the Bolivian ram. One site said one of the differences between he GBR and the Bolivian was temp-- that the GBR likes it warmer which limits tankmates-- of course I thought of Bettas who like it nice and toasty but perhaps they wouldn't be good tankmates.

For either ram, how many would you recommend in the 33?

If I can keep the Bolivians happy, I would like to try the apistos. Would they be able to be in the same tank together?

If you don't mind my asking, what's the difference between a ram and a Bolivian ram?
There is a real difference between German blue rams and Bolivian rams. GBR's are generally more delicate, most likely due to long-term inbreeding, and sometimes dosed with hormones to bring out their colors, which shortens their life considerably.
Bolivians aren't quite as colorful, but are hardier and generally easier to get along with.

I looked at the keyhole cichlids- cool looking but get up to 5 inches and that seems too big for my 33g. But I do like the looks of the Bolivian ram. One site said one of the differences between he GBR and the Bolivian was temp-- that the GBR likes it warmer which limits tankmates-- of course I thought of Bettas who like it nice and toasty but perhaps they wouldn't be good tankmates.

For either ram, how many would you recommend in the 33?

If I can keep the Bolivians happy, I would like to try the apistos. Would they be able to be in the same tank together?
One established pair, for that start with 5-6 juvies and swap off the extras after you have an established pair.

If you can set up the 33, I recommend that. Larger tanks are a bit easier to watch IME. Rams or apistos are not necessarily much harder to keep than the average fish if you get good stock and keep a really close eye on water params IMO. With gbr, good stock is the key. Many people keep them in pristine water, but have them drop dead within a few months (if not even earlier). As was stated, they have been very overbred and weak stock is the result. However, the Bolivians do seem to be much hardier. I think a pair of keyholes would be ok in the 33, but not in the 20. JMO. A single pair of rams or apistos would be ok in the 20, but probably appreciate the space given by the 33. :)
I agree that the best way to get a pair is to start out with a few juvies and sell off the spares.

I have gbr an apisto in a 35g tank with neons Corey cats an mollies and they all get along fine.sometimes the gbr chases the cockatoo around but they r ok

Harryhorse said:
I have gbr an apisto in a 35g tank with neons Corey cats an mollies and they all get along fine.sometimes the gbr chases the cockatoo around but they r ok

Why do you have a bird in your aquarium? lol ;-)

absolutangel04 said:
If you can set up the 33, I recommend that. Larger tanks are a bit easier to watch IME. Rams or apistos are not necessarily much harder to keep than the average fish if you get good stock and keep a really close eye on water params IMO. With gbr, good stock is the key. Many people keep them in pristine water, but have them drop dead within a few months (if not even earlier). As was stated, they have been very overbred and weak stock is the result. However, the Bolivians do seem to be much hardier. I think a pair of keyholes would be ok in the 33, but not in the 20. JMO. A single pair of rams or apistos would be ok in the 20, but probably appreciate the space given by the 33. :)
I agree that the best way to get a pair is to start out with a few juvies and sell off the spares.

The 33 it is! And when my husband asked me what I want for my birthday I said "some Bolivian rams!" and he laughed. I think he thinks I'm kidding?!?

So I'll get the tank set up, cycled, planted and then get a few juvies of the BRs and see who pairs up.

I'll start a whole stocking thread when I get to that point but I just want to make sure I have my first steps in the right order!

Do I put the dither fish in before or after the rams?

Ok- Nevermind on the 33- turns out the neighbor's tank is a cube and I doubt it has the "floor space" it needs. So, if I were to go get a 40, would it change anything on my list of possibilities at all? I doubt so, but am hopeful... I'd love to have two pairs of dwarf cichlids- what would be the minimum size I would need for that? I don't think I have much room, I think a 55 would be the absolute biggest I could squeeze into my apartment!

Which 40 are you referring to? There's a 40 tall (36"x12"), a 40 breeder (36"x18") and a 40 long (48"x12") that's basically just a shorter 55. (For that matter, so is a 33 long.) If you can fit a standard 55 (48"x12") could you fit a 75 (48"x18")?
The 75 or 40 breeder are the best options, depending on your space and budget constraints. You can pretty well fit as much into a 40 breeder as a 55, but the 75 gives you more options all around.

In general, the bigger the tank the more options you have. :) Personally, I have a 40g tall and I really like it, but I bought it for angels. Lots of people really like the 40b. I always suggest getting the biggest tank you can afford and fit in your house. :)

Hi there,

This hasn't been my experience with Apistos at all. The vast majority of species I've kept have been far hardier than any GBRs I've had.

Back
Top Bottom