Convict layed eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blockdude92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 convicts and they are in a tank with 5 other species of African cichlids. All of these fish get along fine, but two of the convicts have paired up and laid eggs in the tank!! The fry have now hatched but haven't yet left the mothers nest. What should I do?!?!

I have 3 convicts and they are in a tank with 5 other species of African cichlids. All of these fish get along fine, but two of the convicts have paired up and laid eggs in the tank!! The fry have now hatched but haven't yet left the mothers nest. What should I do?!?!

You should take your Africans out or the convicts will. Very territorial when babies start swimming.

Not to mention Africans and South Americans have different need in water parameters.

If the mother isnt caring for the eggs, you may need to raise them in a different tank.

Iv had my convict couple set up for alittle over a week now. How long before they normally start laying eggs? And what's the 100% way to tell there sex? Maybe the dude didn't now what he was doing at pet smart.

Iv had my convict couple set up for alittle over a week now. How long before they normally start laying eggs? And what's the 100% way to tell there sex? Maybe the dude didn't now what he was doing at pet smart.

Hate to tell you, but chances are he didn't. Your lucky if you get someone at petsmart/petco who actually know what their talking about.

So i did some research and I think i can say 97% I have a male and female. So how long does it take for them to pair? Is there something I can do to speed things up. The female is very active and comes out to eat, the male sits in a fake plant and doesn't move around that much. But he seems to be surviving fine. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom