Convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chenay83

Aquarium Advice Freak
My convicts have more babies. How do I do a water change? Last time I tried both the young ones and the older ones ended up dead and the parents freak out and hid in the driftwood along with all of the bodies they collected. I was horrified I really don't need to go through that again. We are talking about atleast 300 little fish bodies.

im so sorry :(

how did u do the last one?

what i sugest is taking a normal siphoner and detatching the large collector bit so just the pipe remains, then put then in the corner of the tank and do it that way x

They did fine until I started adding the water. It was about the same temp and I had added a conditioner and ph balance/stabalizer.

Chenay83 said:
They did fine until I started adding the water. It was about the same temp and I had added a conditioner and ph balance/stabalizer.

The pH chemicals would have done it IMO. No need to add them. They can poison fish and cause huge pH fluctuations.

Ok I hope that was the problem. Tomorrow I will put the water that I take out into a small extra tank, if they start showing signs of trouble I transfer as many as I can into the tank with the old water. I will slow way down when I add the water.

dont know about the water there, but the water in iowa thank gawd is 8.2, and relativly hard: so the only thing i add is the conditioner and they love it i notice when i add the water faster they try to swim up the current lol i need females

It went great they brought out the babies today. I stopped counting at 200 and there were still plenty more!

Closetcanibal,
I'm not sure about ours. I bought a little cheap all in one test that went up to 8.5 and our water met/surpass that mark.

Chenay83 said:
It went great they brought out the babies today. I stopped counting at 200 and there were still plenty more!

That's great news!
I see you have been using strips? They are known to be very inaccurate. can I suggest a liquid test kit? API freshwater master test kit is the one to get IMO.

I'll have to look for it. Believe it or not there's not a lot to choose from around here.

There is something strange going on with my convicts, the male is guarding the fry and attaching the female. What should I do?

Well there is a change of events she has stolen the fry(all of them) and hid them in the diftwood with her and nips at him when he tries to come in. Is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom