convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ram897

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone have experience with convicts? I am looking at a 27gallon cube aquarium and want to put either 1 or 2 convicts in it. If I get 1, what else would be compatible?

Thanks

Ram897 said:
Anyone have experience with convicts? I am looking at a 27gallon cube aquarium and want to put either 1 or 2 convicts in it. If I get 1, what else would be compatible?

Thanks

Not much of anything else if you get two convicts and they happen to be m/f!!!!!

Happen to be? Is there no way to tell? Can you have 2 of the same sex and them not kill each other?

Yes 2 of the same sex would be fine together

Two mature males in a small confined space like that would be anything but fine IMO, more like Thunderdome...2 fish enter 1 fish leave!

You could get away with two females more than likely, it's common for females to pair when no male is present. Plus cons are easy to sex as juvies, so getting a couple of gals is easy.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Two mature males in a small confined space like that would be anything but fine IMO, more like Thunderdome...2 fish enter 1 fish leave!

You could get away with two females more than likely, it's common for females to pair when no male is present. Plus cons are easy to sex as juvies, so getting a couple of gals is easy.

Interesting.Good advice for the future.Clearly assumption is a mistake here....

garfy said:
The sooner I get some SA or CA cichlids the better

Come on over to the dark side. Everybody has Africans. Not there's anything wrong with that. If that's what you like go for it. Sa/ca have so many options. You won't be disappointed.

Thunderdome.... Great movie, bad concept with fish tho! I think we will be getting 2 females. We were at petco and they have some adorable 1.5 inch ones. It will be a while before we can get them because I am still cycling my 46 and then will be swapping media in the cannister filter.

Are there any fish compatible with convicts? Esp any algae eaters?

With that size tank you are very limited on your options with cichlids. What are the exact measurements of it.

It is a 27 gallon cube. It is 20 x 18 x 18. I was thinking about getting one convict and a gold chinese algae eater. Just didn't know if the cichlid needed a "buddy" or if it likes to make it alone. I do not want a mating pair.

I'd recommend against chinese algae eaters. They are nasty and I think in a tank that small it will be worse. They are known to latch on to the sides of fish and suck on them. As for the algae eating part they stop that after a while because they get picky.

Malawi Freak said:
I'd recommend against chinese algae eaters. They are nasty and I think in a tank that small it will be worse. They are known to latch on to the sides of fish and suck on them. As for the algae eating part they stop that after a while because they get picky.

I have to agree with Malawi Freak here. I have 3 CAE's and there nice but I think I got lucky because my tank keeps them in there place. Also they don't do much for algae after a while like stated above. And I've noticed my Botia loaches starting to latch on to some of my Cichlid's lately as well. I'd say away from loaches all together. Mine are about to be re homed. I don't like the recent activity but in my tank I wouldn't expect anything other....

Are there any fish compatible with convicts? Esp any algae eaters?

Is there a specific reason that you want a algae eater? I'm curious since I have 25 tanks and only have 1 plec, with proper maintenance, lighting schedule, and water changes there really shouldn't be any alage.

Convict2161 said:
I have to agree with Malawi Freak here. I have 3 CAE's and there nice but I think I got lucky because my tank keeps them in there place. Also they don't do much for algae after a while like stated above. And I've noticed my Botia loaches starting to latch on to some of my Cichlid's lately as well. I'd say away from loaches all together. Mine are about to be re homed. I don't like the recent activity but in my tank I wouldn't expect anything other....

I wouldn't rule out all loaches. I have a clown loach, 2 horse face loaches, and 2 dwarf loaches. For that size tank dwarf loaches would be perfect but they do nothing for algae.

Don't mix CAEs with them. I found my beloved albino CAE depacitated and eviscerated with no prior warning of aggression againsst it.

I like watching the algae eaters. I am really new to this and thought they were a good addition to the tank.

Is there a better choice than cae? I always liked the bristlenose and rubberlip but don't want to stress my convict.

Back
Top Bottom