demasoni + yellow labs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably just a comfort issue at the moment. I don't know how high of GH is too high, but my GH sits around 18. Presumably, yours would be a bit higher, since you have (essentially) the same water plus the CC substrate. A friend of mine only really had issues with his plants when the GH got into the 25-30 range, but he had limestone rocks in there for 2 years. Yours may not take as long, seeing as there is many more times the surface area on the CC.

here are a few pics I took tonight....im trying to figure out my camera and not having the best luck...ill try more later, took about 100 pics to get the few decent ones.

cichlids1a.jpg

cichlids2a.jpg

cichlids3a.jpg

Plants are doing well, but it may be a little over crowded, trying to do a planted tank with mbuna. they seem to want to hide in everything, and most times it looks like they are not even there.

I gave a few plants away but kept most and they are out more....i need some more small plants and less tall stuff.

the ones I got from you are growing very well though!

M

I keep Africans in a planted tank with CO2 and have had great luck running the pH at 7.3-7.4 with a dKH of 12-14. The Africans don't mind the pH at that level and the relatively high dKH allows me to maintain good (25-30 ppm) CO2 levels at the same time. There are some plants that will not tolerate the high hardness, but I've found that most plants do great. Plus, all of the plant mass provides perfect breeding cover for small fry. I'm anxious to see how things progress for you :)

Its good to hear success stories on this topic. I am still progressing forward with live plants, but have removed my pressurized CO2 until I can get a better monitoring system. I dont want the CO2 to hurt the fish, first and foremost. I think the only way to do it safely is with an electronic pH controller, which I cant buy just yet.

How quickly does pH get affected? Can I use my API master kit to test pH while injecting CO2 sucessfully, without harming the fish? I also have one of those $3 seachem pH things but its just a test strip attached to a color dial so I dont trust it to be accurate or quick.

Back
Top Bottom