Demasonis and mainganos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrza

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would I be asking for trouble mixing a harem of demasonis with an already existing group of mainganos because of the similar colors?

TheGrza said:
Would I be asking for trouble mixing a harem of demasonis with an already existing group of mainganos because of the similar colors?

I haven't tryed it but imo yes it would more than likely have problems. Demasoni are more aggressive than Mainganos. Maingano's are probably one of the most peaceful of mbuna

It would probably be problematic. There is no real way of telling till you do it, but make sure you can rehome fish if needed.

Horizontally-striped blue/black fish (such as maingano or male johanni's) will probably not incite a demasoni (for the conspecific aggression to kick in the demasoni has to mistake the other species as a demasoni and the different stripe patterns should greatly deter that).

A male pseudotropheus saulosi or labidochromis sp. mbamba would be a more risky selection:

This yellow top mbamba was a frequent target of demasoni aggression in my tank, it would shift to near solid purple colors to avoid their wrath.
img_2212325_0_3f15a25dea80ad9fdbb60ed9eb89a6df.jpg

Horizontally-striped (or similarly colored) members of the metriaclima genus (the zebra complex) usually have no problem deterring demasoni's as they're usually more aggressive and larger. The species depicted in my avatar (black barred zebra) and this male msobo dominated the 20+ demasoni's that they shared their tank with:

img_2212325_1_21673ffe53146e14e9effe2e5e4340de.jpg

With that said, adding new mbuna's to an established set up may result in some aggression, so you might actually see some temporary territorial aggression from the maingano's toward the newly introduced demasoni's.

"With that said, adding new mbuna's to an established set up may result in some aggression, so you might actually see some temporary territorial aggression from the maingano's toward the newly introduced demasoni's."

I'm actually much more worried about the mainganos going after the demasonis. I keep hearing how gentle mainganos are supposed to be. Mine are all understudies of Rosemarie's Baby.

Back
Top Bottom