Discus babies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbush

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would it be better for a newbie to order 4 or 5 nickel / dime sized discus from aquabid or buy a couple around 3" from a LFS and add more later? I am trying to stay around $100 initial investment... If that is even possible.

I have a 150gallon im setting up for discus. My plan is to get some 3-6" from my lfs and a local breeder. Not sure exactly what is best,smaller or bigger? Ive just been reading as much as I can about them and trying to figure out a tentative schedule for feeding & water changes. They are alot of work! One lfs has the larger discus (3-5") for 25$ each.Im going to start with some I can find locally then order online the colors I cant find that I want. Make sure you read up on what to look for when buying. Not sure about your area but ive seen some bad breeding around here. I'm Sticking around to hear others input on this!

I am leaning toward joegargas on aquabid. He sells dime size. Also, aquatic critter in Nashville has some larger ones around $50. I think I know enough to keep them but don't want to kill fish that expensive. I have a 20 gallon that is empty and a 56 gallon community tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

although it does give a good sense of satisfaction growing out young fish, I would go with adult discus myself now. especially if they are going into a display tank.

with young discus it's hard to tell if the colour, pattern and shape with develop as expected. but it would be a good learning exercise growing them out.

I am leaning toward joegargas on aquabid. He sells dime size. Also, aquatic critter in Nashville has some larger ones around $50. I think I know enough to keep them but don't want to kill fish that expensive. I have a 20 gallon that is empty and a 56 gallon community tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

After I get my initial stock locally I'll check out joe on aquabid. Ive never ordered online-- I like to know exactly what im getting! Yeah I think ive read and know enough too but I keep reading & asking questions because they are so expensive! The lfs around Cleveland all carry discus but the prices vary from 25$ -100$+! Ive been stalking all of them and seen some of the pricier ones with all the things youre supposed to avoid and the "cheap" ones looking great. So its definitely going to take some shopping around. How many are you planning on getting?

I would like to end up w/ 5 or 6. I talked to a guy who started w/ just 1 and even cycled his tank w/ it. He gets all his from aquatic critter in Nashville and even trades them in once they are grown out.

buying them as adults I wouldnt advise as a newbie to discus keeping. If it dies, that's an expensive loss!! I like to buy my fish young and grow them out, discus or otherwise. Always got my angelfish like that, and I currently have two discus that are growing nicely. I lost a few along the way, but i'm learning still.

I think Joe Gargas is local to me, he's a member of a local aquarium group here.

Small world huh? Kind of what I was thinking, but then my question is how small should I go? I am interested in ordering some but have never ordered fish before. Also, his ad said ph was not important, but water hardness was. All i have is an api master kit. so I am basically waiting for him to e mail me back to clear up a few questions.

Back
Top Bottom