Do we have eggs?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamG

Aquarium Advice Regular
Wonder if my cichlid is holding eggs or fry... My male had a dark beard, and she has a big jaw... Is she pregnant? What's next?

Attachments

• image-282383744.jpg
    image-282383744.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1326904242.jpg
    image-1326904242.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 123
Yes she looks to be holding she'll hold them for 18-36 days and spit them out or swallow them before then if stressed or sometimes for first time mothers

Awesome! Thank you! The male continues to harrass her, should I move her to my 6 gallon emergeny tank? Or leave her? I have a few other yellow labs smaller in size, and a compressicept cichlid with them.

adamG said:
Awesome! Thank you! The male continues to harrass her, should I move her to my 6 gallon emergeny tank? Or leave her? I have a few other yellow labs smaller in size, and a compressicept cichlid with them.

You have an eye biter? How big is your tank?

That was what I thought! It's a 40 breeder, he is pretty small right now but goes crazy when I put in Rosie's... I would like to put her in my 6 gal, but I don't want her to stress out, swallow, or even die... There is a cave they could hide in but the male loves to take charge of it...

I included a picture of the bottom of the tank, sorry it's hard to show because I have it in the middle of a coffee table..

Attachments

• image-919714132.jpg
    image-919714132.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 103
adamG said:
That was what I thought! It's a 40 breeder, he is pretty small right now but goes crazy when I put in Rosie's... I would like to put her in my 6 gal, but I don't want her to stress out, swallow, or even die... There is a cave they could hide in but the male loves to take charge of it...

I included a picture of the bottom of the tank, sorry it's hard to show because I have it in the middle of a coffee table..

I guess I could put the compressicept into my other 40 gallon breeder, but I was hoping to keep room saved because I am supposed to be getting peacock cichlid juvs and a med frontosa... And have a jewel cichlid that has lived forever and is mean to everything...

A 40 breeder is way too small for a compressiceps.They need at least a 125 IMO and you shouldn't feed Rosie's as your encouraging predatory behaviour.
Compressiceps have a mouth a third the length of their bodies and they can reach 12" in length so will be capable of eating most of your other fish or at the very least having a good go.
Just something to think about.

I eventually plan on getting more and more and bigger and bigger on my tanks... In time.. I am just trying to gain some knowledge on what to do right now

adamG said:
I guess I could put the compressicept into my other 40 gallon breeder, but I was hoping to keep room saved because I am supposed to be getting peacock cichlid juvs and a med frontosa... And have a jewel cichlid that has lived forever and is mean to everything...

I would forget about the Frontosa they get to 15" long and are very peaceful and timid fish but they would also eat any fish small enough to fit in their mouth.Frontosa need a 150 plus.

I don't know if I need to take the pregnant yellow lab cichlid out of my tank or if it will be ok with just the other lab cichlids

adamG said:
I don't know if I need to take the pregnant yellow lab cichlid out of my tank or if it will be ok with just the other lab cichlids

My question would be what are you going to do with the babies if you manage to save them

Does my answer affect your answer? I intend on feeding them to my gsp, r.e. sliders, and compressicept....

As I am fully aware I don't have room for them... I am also fully aware my tank sizes are not ideal, but it is possible, and not a problem to have smaller fish in smaller tanks as they grow... I think I have come to a point of such frustration, I will never tell another soul my tank sizes... Because as I seek advice for one thing... I am getting information on something I simply do not care to discuss because I intend to grow, along with my fish and tank sizes...

adamG said:
I am also fully aware my tank sizes are not ideal, but it is possible, and not a problem to have smaller fish in smaller tanks as they grow.

This isn't always good thinking. This many times can stunt their growth and they just won't be right in the future. I know this first hand from a cichlid I have that the precious owner kept him in a 10 g thinking it would be fine. I've had him for 2 years now and he's only 3" long when by now he should be at least 6.

adamG said:
And selling them to my lfs

You have other fish than Yellow labs in your tank so there's a good chance any fry would be hybrids.These you won't be able to and shouldn't sell to any lfs.
Simply leave the holding female in the main tank and after about 30 days or so she will spit out the babies and I guarantee your compressiceps will greedily munch them up.

Since then, I have moved the compressicept, and removed the fry from the female and put them in their own tank.. She too is in her own tank to calmly recover and gain strength. I have seven fry! I am excited! Also 75 gallon is in the works for compressicept, and a few peacocks... So now this tank is species only except for the acae which I am figuring out... Thanks everyone for the input!

Back
Top Bottom