Electric Yellow Cichlid holding??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Liver Spots ? Mayb you can be a bit more clear or take a photo

They tend to change up some when holding mine usually hang at the top by the heater or just the back of the tank in general as a protective parent ...

Sorry auto correct :p she has a darker spot under her chin

Well I can tell you what I would do. Sell the lab in the 10g as you have mentioned or if she is healed move her to your display tank, then clean the 10 g and quick cycle it, to ensure there is no lingering sickness in the water. Move your holding female to your 10g tank and since ur not 100% on what day she began holding just assume the day u noticed her was day 1, count 18 days from that (normally I wait until about 21 days, but since your unsure of the day, 18 days wouldnt be a bad idea.) and strip the babies from her. I know you said you wasnt really wanting to strip her but its kind of a choice thing; choice 1: dont strip her and theres a good chance she eats the fry, or choice 2: strip her at 18 days and get some if not all free swimmers and have a much greater survival chance for the fry.

Helpful Hints:
You said theres no egg tumblers or anything in your area, they are super easy to DIY project, and if you do use the method I have outlined for you, your gonna need a sponge filter in your 10 gallon tank, else your fry will be sucked right into your filter system(also a very easy DIY project) OR just cut a piece of sponge to fit over the end of your current filter intake on that tank. I will give you some video names to search on youtube since im not 100% sure on the link rules on this forum.

On youtube search:
(DIY sponge filter)- "How to Make a Air Powered Sponge Filter" will be the first non promoted video.

(Quick cycle your tank)- "Easy way to cycle your tank!" or "Cycle a fish tank in 3 minutes"

(DIY Egg Tumbler)- "Quick, Cheap, and Easy DIY Egg Tumbler" first non promoted video.

I have no intentions of under minding you with my tips here, I just dont know how experienced you are or are not, and I want the best of success for you and your fry.

Long Live Cichlids!!

Thank you! I am trying to sell the one in the 10g currently. I wish i could just out her back in but i already tired and she got beat up for the second time. I don't want her to go through it a third time. Okay so counting the day i saw her would have been on Wednesday the 19th in the morning. So its the 30th so i should wait tell the 7th? I kinda have an idea.... can i just take a airstone and put the babies in a net and have it rest on the tip of the tank and have the bubbles go through it?? Or maybe.. if i cut some tubing or something and the air stone might fit in it then have some water in there and place the babies in there? But it won't be fresh water... i think the net idea? Or will they get scratched up?

Thank you! I am trying to sell the one in the 10g currently. I wish i could just out her back in but i already tired and she got beat up for the second time. I don't want her to go through it a third time. Okay so counting the day i saw her would have been on Wednesday the 19th in the morning. So its the 30th so i should wait tell the 7th? I kinda have an idea.... can i just take a airstone and put the babies in a net and have it rest on the tip of the tank and have the bubbles go through it?? Or maybe.. if i cut some tubing or something and the air stone might fit in it then have some water in there and place the babies in there? But it won't be fresh water... i think the net idea? Or will they get scratched up?

Nope the net idea does not work... i think i going to go with the plan and try and move her in like 3 days and then just let her be. It doesn't fully matter if de eats tho babies but i did want a few. If i see them i will separate them. I might make an egg tumbler but i have like $3 lol. I only wanted a few babies so when they are bigger then can go in the 55 with the others. I don't want to be selling them so i can wait for her to have more. I was ave to see them yesterday. Her mouth is extremely full! They are like a ball with two black dots and might have a small tail

She should leave them alone for about 24 hours before she starts eating them, if your around it should be plenty time to catch her out before she does. Just be sure to check good, her mouth may still appear to be "holding" looking after she spits the fry so be sure to check the tank really good. Sounds like your almost in the "wiggler" phase, i have a batch in my tumbler now in this phase :)

She should leave them alone for about 24 hours before she starts eating them, if your around it should be plenty time to catch her out before she does. Just be sure to check good, her mouth may still appear to be "holding" looking after she spits the fry so be sure to check the tank really good. Sounds like your almost in the "wiggler" phase, i have a batch in my tumbler now in this phase :)

Yes i will be home everyday up tell her letting them go. I have a party to go to and a wedding but other then being gone for max 7 hours I'm home. Her mouth was huge last night and now its back to what it has Been over the past week,... like i thought maybe they grew and that's why her chin went down more but it changed... maybe they were in a different spot in her mouth? I did look those videos up. I have a VERY small holed sponge that goes on the end of my filter for the 10g and its not a strong filter. I used it with guppy fry. I now know how to make an egg tumbler but going to try and not have to make one

I did water changes today and i moved the holding female into the 10g. I have the other cichlid that was in the 10g in the 55 in a bucket. I will only keep her there and on craigslist for one more day then the next day, she is going on for free and if nothing by the end of the day then I'm giving her to the pet store. I am going to keep looking to see babies and it looks like she still has the babies in her mouth (didnt eat them) i did get a picture but i don't know how to put it on here anymore

I did water changes today and i moved the holding female into the 10g. I have the other cichlid that was in the 10g in the 55 in a bucket. I will only keep her there and on craigslist for one more day then the next day, she is going on for free and if nothing by the end of the day then I'm giving her to the pet store. I am going to keep looking to see babies and it looks like she still has the babies in her mouth (didnt eat them) i did get a picture but i don't know how to put it on here anymore

Sorry for the thousands of replies but it won't let me edit my posts. I can now add pictures she loves the pineapple. All day yesterday, she was in there. She is exploring the tank now but when she gets scared she goes in the pineapple

ForumRunner_20130703_104255.jpg

ForumRunner_20130703_104310.jpg

ForumRunner_20130703_104325.jpg

ForumRunner_20130703_104338.jpg

ForumRunner_20130703_104351.jpg

ForumRunner_20130703_104405.jpg

Sorry for the thousands of replies but it won't let me edit my posts. I can now add pictures she loves the pineapple. All day yesterday, she was in there. She is exploring the tank now but when she gets scared she goes in the pineapple

Ummmmm she is spitting the babies out!!! There has had 2 that just had the heads like they had been dead for a while then another dead one that like just died. I just found the 4th one and its alive!!! So far.... i have the lights off incase she has more to spit but she looks normal (no bulge)

Ummmmm she is spitting the babies out!!! There has had 2 that just had the heads like they had been dead for a while then another dead one that like just died. I just found the 4th one and its alive!!! So far.... i have the lights off incase she has more to spit but she looks normal (no bulge)

Awesome! Any more?

Awesome! Any more?

Haha nope i got just the one guy. There was 4 dead and then him. I put food in the tank just to see if she would eat it and she did so i assumed that ave didn't have any left

Many people get nothing their first few times so even a few live ones is good. Next time will be better I'm sure!

Many people get nothing their first few times so even a few live ones is good. Next time will be better I'm sure!

Yes i am lucky that i got one little guy :) i put some flakes in 2 days ago and nothing since because he isn't eating... also he has a little bit of what looks like his egg on the bottom if his tummy

Well apparently!!!!! I have two babies!! I just moved the pineapple so the baby will actually come out and swim and maybe eat and then it swam to a corner and scared a baby!! :)

I figured you may find more. The little egg looking thing on the bottom of h may be just that, it's egg. She may have spit them out too soon.

I figured you may find more. The little egg looking thing on the bottom of h may be just that, it's egg. She may have spit them out too soon.

No, there is no egg looking things anywhere. All of them eggs fully developed also. I guess i just didn't see it for 3 days

Back
Top Bottom