Fire mouth cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't know if this is possible, but I have two juvinile's in a 10G tank (probably too small) and I want to put them in a 29G tank. The problem is the 29G has a bunch of tropical community fish (tetras, angels, gouramis etc.) Can I put them in the community tank? Will they be super aggressive and kill all the fish that I have in there? (The guy at petsmart said they were agressive.. but he may not know his stuff)

My experience with firemouths is that they are hyperaggressive and would either outright kill community fish or stress them to death.

Dang, I'm not sure what I'll do with them since the only LFS in my area won't buy or accept fish. I guess I'll try craigslist. It's a shame but I think the tank is too small for them and the 75G I'm (hopefully) getting is going to be SW.

It's been my experience as well, unfortunately. Mine was so aggressive I don't think he would have tolerated a mate in a 29 gallon, plus he grew to 6 inches or so TL. I kept him in a 55 gallon, then upgraded to a 75. Sadly, I had to put him down shortly after the move... he was quite old and I suspect the stress of moving 440 miles was just too much. :(

well for what it's worth, just today i added 2 firemouths to my tropical community of 3 bala sharks, 10 tiger barbs and 1 rainbow shark.

they have been in the tank about 3 hours and have shown zero signs of aggression. i know it's still very early but i didn't know what to expect immediately after releasing them.

my community is very different than yours but if i were you i would try it out. the store told me to try it and if they start acting aggressive to just return them within 14 days.

i was advised that most of them make good community fish except for when spawning. i got a male and a female but it remains to be seen whether or not they will pair up. they are BEAUTIFUL fish!!!

That is not the tank that you originally asked about. You put them into an aggresive tank, not a community tank. You will more likely have more luck with them in that tank. The ones you put them in with are aggresive also. They will either establish boundries or kill each other.

That is not the tank that you originally asked about. You put them into an aggresive tank, not a community tank. You will more likely have more luck with them in that tank. The ones you put them in with are aggresive also. They will either establish boundries or kill each other.

huh? i didn't ask about any tank. i was just giving the original poster input.

The only one that I would worry about in yours is the rainbow. The balas are fast and the tigers are mean. So, they should be ok. Probably just all agree to stay out of each others way. The rainbow may just hide alot. They tend to do that.

The only one that I would worry about in yours is the rainbow. The balas are fast and the tigers are mean. So, they should be ok. Probably just all agree to stay out of each others way. The rainbow may just hide alot. They tend to do that.

the rainbow shark has been overly aggressive today. he usually will just chase off fish that come near his rock, but today he was doing it constantly, and way more aggressively. it might just be cooincidence but i'm not sure.

Thats weird. The ones that I have had in the past have usually hidden in caves and stuff when more aggresive fish were around. Funny that he is so aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom