Firemouth acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry I must have missed that. I do have another tank, but it's only 5 gallon. The Problem is, I am going away for 10 days and don't think he will survive in there without it being cycled. Also it isn't equipped with a fish feeder.

Thanks. It looks like the convict is back to normal. Not sure if the heat made a difference or if the whole thing was in my head. Just did a pwc, set up the autofeeder and crossing my fingers.

Update: I returned from vacation and all fish survived. My 4 Inch tiger Oscar is not looking good though. He is breathing heavy and not eating. It also seems like his fins are a little torn/ripped which is strange. Tigerbarbs, convict and BN look fine and very active.

Water parameters are good. Fully cycled with less than 10 ppm nitrates. I did a 50% water change, but it doesn't appear to have made the Oscar happy.

The temperature is 80 degrees and I added a little bit of aqua salt. Ph has been stable at 7.4

I'm not sure how to read this situation. The firemouth died almost 3 weeks ago. If he had bacteria/parasite, could that be affecting the Oscar after all that time?

No external signs of problems on the fish.

What do you recommend I do at this point?

I think his fins may have been nipped because he is just laying around and not defending himself. Maybe it's fin rot, but I was under the impression that would take more than 1 week to develop.

I'm really hoping for some suggestions regarding this heavy breathing issue. I'm afraid he's not going to last much longer if I don't do something to intervene soon.

Have you aerated the water? Any time i treat for anything in my tanks I try to bump the oxygen up as much as possible. From bubbles to lowering the water level to create a waterfall effect.

Back
Top Bottom