First fry on their way and I need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
My cichlid is holding! I got my first glimpse at the itty bitty fry in her mouth tonight and confirmed my suspicions!

I currently have a 55 gal tank with cichlids, a 17 gal tank with fancy goldies and I'm in the process of getting my new 50 gal tank ready to upgrade the fancies. I should be ready to move them over this weekend.

I was planning on moving the filter from the 17 into the 50 along with its new filter so that the tank would be pretty much instantly cycled (I know I'll need to keep an eye on parameters), and keeping the 17 for a QT/holding tank but didn't think I'd need it so soon!

So should I keep mama in the 55 gal tank with the cichlids and let her spit into there, or is there a way I could get the 17 gal ready to move her in a week or so? I think she has been holding for about a week. I thought I had an all male tank so she's been getting a bit too much attention from the boys and is looking a little battle weary so I would like to move her if it's feasible. Which is where you guys come in!

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments welcome!

If you.can I'd put her in the other tank after she spits leave her for a couple days, let her rest and feed her before putting her back in the main tank.

I would do that Andrew, but the issue is that the 17 gal won't have a filter until the new goldfish tank has cycled and the new filter on that has enough BB to return the old filter to the 17 gal. I'm assuming this would take a month or so.

Perhaps a breeder box in the main tank would suffice to help her regain her strength after she spits?

I would do that Andrew, but the issue is that the 17 gal won't have a filter until the new goldfish tank has cycled and the new filter on that has enough BB to return the old filter to the 17 gal. I'm assuming this would take a month or so.

Perhaps a breeder box in the main tank would suffice to help her regain her strength after she spits?

Yea just as long as she can feed and rest a little.

Or if you could grab a new filter for the 17 and seed it with media from your 55.

Back
Top Bottom