First time cichlid owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janelle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I all...I am getting my first cichlid tank stocked and am wondering about numbers. I have a 75 gallon tank and am wondering how many Africans I can comfortably house? I have some there already, about 15, and am starting to cycle another smaller tank in case it is needed to separate some. Any ideas, suggestions, feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

What kind of Africans? What size? 15 puts you close to capacity depending on what your current fish are.

Thanks for responding...after reading some of this I am worried I may not have chosen them well even though I thought I researched it well. All are about 1 to 1 1/2 inch in size and so far no major issues as I swap stuff around when I introduce new. I have electric blue and yellow, big lipped, bumblebee, 2 auratus, red zebras, blue johanni and I think a livingstonni...at least I think that is what it's called...and a jewel. One other one is an ice blue.

At this point they are small enough to be ok. But you will deft have to change things up. Jewel will have to go for sure.

Thought he might...I thought he would be more aggressive than he is though...he just kinda hides in a cave. Thanks for responding...I have another question for you...I have 1 male and 2 female red zebras...is that ratio ok?

The ice blue and red zebras are both metriclima, the males of each will compete for the females and they will fight and spar. Most people recommend a ratio of 1male to 3-4 females. They are still small enough to not display much aggression. Did you get electric blue johanni and m. johanni? Most people pick 3 or 4 genus (metriclima, labidochromis, psuedotropheus... so on). In each genus pick your favorite 1 with similar diet and compatibility. Get 5-6 of each and narrow it as they mature and can be sexed. It helps to slightly overstock with mbuna Cichlids. Google each fish (ex: "red zebra cichlid profile") and read. Cichlid-forum.com is very helpful. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much...you're being very helpful. I'll certainly take all the advice I can get.

I would say they are maingano, sold as electric blue johanni. I would rather have maingano.

I'm not home right now...will try to post pic later.

Thanks for the help. Might post another pic as well for identification.

Back
Top Bottom