Fish I.D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How are they with other fish. It's in a 40 gallon breeder with a yellow lab, Electric Blue, and a red tail shark.

It looks like Banded Leporinus

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like it might be a female which is good aggression wise, but Kenyis are one of the more aggressive mbunas.

Not a cichlid expert but I would say a kenyi of some sort. Maybe post in the cichlid section!

Not sure if you are aware or not, but the Electric Blue, Hapilochromis ahli, is a true carnivore that reaches between 7" and 8". The Yellow lab is a mbuna, so a herbivore, as is the Kenyi (which is what you have there). Keeping a carnivore and herbivores together can be problematic as they have different feeding requirements, and not meeting proper nutritional needs can cause issues like Malawi bloat or Hole-in-the-Head disease. Additionally none of them, particularly the Electric Blue (because of size) and the Kenyi (because of aggression) are suitable to be in a 40B long term. You may get away with it for a bit till they mature sexually, then you are going to start loosing fish. Kenyi IME should never be kept in anything less than a 6' tank.

Also, just so you know, that Kenyi is likely too small to properly determine sex at this point, not that it really matters, as the females are just as aggressive as the males with this species.

Thank you for all if the info, I am having a really hard time figuring out what can live with each other. Any ideas about what can live with the red tail shark and yellow lab? I going to trade the electric blue and the kenyi, but I need help with stocking ideas that will work.

Not sure if you are aware or not, but the Electric Blue, Hapilochromis ahli, is a true carnivore that reaches between 7" and 8". The Yellow lab is a mbuna, so a herbivore, as is the Kenyi (which is what you have there). Keeping a carnivore and herbivores together can be problematic as they have different feeding requirements, and not meeting proper nutritional needs can cause issues like Malawi bloat or Hole-in-the-Head disease. Additionally none of them, particularly the Electric Blue (because of size) and the Kenyi (because of aggression) are suitable to be in a 40B long term. You may get away with it for a bit till they mature sexually, then you are going to start loosing fish. Kenyi IME should never be kept in anything less than a 6' tank.

Also, just so you know, that Kenyi is likely too small to properly determine sex at this point, not that it really matters, as the females are just as aggressive as the males with this species.

Electric blue can also refer to melanochromis
cyaneorhabdos (electric blue johanni), and that would be a much more commonly seen fish in a mixed african tank, as those are generally stocked with mbuna only.

Also, to clarify on the HITH/HLLE topic: HITH is a parasitic condition most common in Discus and Angelfish. HLLE is a similar condition cause by poor water condition and/or bad diet Hole in the Head (HITH) and Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE)

You know I respect your opinion, just thought I'd throw those comments
out there

Electric blue can also refer to melanochromis
cyaneorhabdos (electric blue johanni), and that would be a much more commonly seen fish in a mixed african tank, as those are generally stocked with mbuna only.

Also, to clarify on the HITH/HLLE topic: HITH is a parasitic condition most common in Discus and Angelfish. HLLE is a similar condition cause by poor water condition and/or bad diet Hole in the Head (HITH) and Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE)

You know I respect your opinion, just thought I'd throw those comments
out there

Awesome, absolutely no problem - clarification/correction allows us all to learn. I did think about the Electric blue Johanni, but around here the hap is actually more commonly seen. Either way, I wouldn't recommend that fish for a 40B, but your correct to point out that the E.B. Johanni is classed as a mbuna and therefore a herbivore. Thanks for the clarification on the HLLE, I was confusing those two.

So I would be better to trade it out? And if so what are some of my options? I don't want to have to keep taking them back but I also don't want any of them hurt.

So, I hate being the bearer of bad news, but with a 3' tank, there really isn't a good option for you with any of the African Rift Lake species that are commonly available. There are some dwarf species that would do very well in that system, but they are often hard to come by. One of your best options that has some decent availability would be some of the assorted shell-dwelling cichlid species from Lake Tanganyika. Beyond that, there are a number of African riverian cichlids, such as the German Blue Rams and the Kribs which are pretty commonly available that would also do well in that size tank. If you can order online or have a good retailer near you, your options increase significantly.

Rams are South American, but Kribs are definitely west African riverine fish. If you can find Steatocranus tinanti or casuarius (slender buffalo head and buffalo head, respectively), those are really cool west African riverine cichlids that would likely do well with a pair of Kribs.

Rams are South American, but Kribs are definitely west African riverine fish. If you can find Steatocranus tinanti or casuarius (slender buffalo head and buffalo head, respectively), those are really cool west African riverine cichlids that would likely do well with a pair of Kribs.

Awe crimony, thats what I get for trying to type in a hurry LOL. Thanks for the correction.

Thanks a bunch guys, tons of ideas to research there. Those are exactly the things I don't know. It's incredibly hard to choose fish.

Thanks a bunch guys, tons of ideas to research there. Those are exactly the things I don't know. It's incredibly hard to choose fish.

It totally is, we get it. Most of us started off in a similar situation. My first community tank stock list was horrendous and I killed almost every fish in that tank.

It totally is, we get it. Most of us started off in a similar situation. My first community tank stock list was horrendous and I killed almost every fish in that tank.

Your right! I started with a 10 gallon with a common pleco and 9 other fish that were mismatches. Sdcond time I threw a red tailed shark in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom